Timelines of Holocaust historiography and revisionism
|Timelines and alleged origins|
support Holocaust revisionism
|Alleged important evidence|
words and Holocaust revisionism
|Holocaust revisionist websites|
to hide the Holocaust
- 1 Timeline of the establishment of the orthodox historiography according to Holocaust revisionists
- 2 Timeline of Holocaust revisionism
- 3 Timeline of convictions for "Holocaust denial"
- 4 External links
- 5 References
Timeline of the establishment of the orthodox historiography according to Holocaust revisionists
This is not a timeline of what did or did not happen during the Holocaust itself but a timeline of how the politically correct Holocaust version was established as argued by Holocaust revisionists.
Regarding general revisionist arguments on why and how the politically correct Holocaust version was created and have persisted, see the articles on Holocaust motivations and Holocaust testimonial evidence. See also Allied psychological warfare.
- Claims of six million suffering, dying, or dead Jews appeared long before the start of WWII and was claimed during and after WWII before any "official" numbers appeared.
- During the Second Boer War (1899 - 1902) the British used "concentration camps" in order to concentrate the Boer civilian population and prevent it from helping the Boer forces.
- During World War I (1914 - 1918) Allied propaganda falsely claimed large scale German atrocities. The Allies won the war, blamed Germany for starting it, and imposed harsh peace treaties. But Germany was never occupied and the Allies were unable to convince most Germans of their guilt with resulting widespread resentment. Avoiding a repetition of this after World War II may have been seen as very important. Another effect of WWI was that the use of poison gas during the war caused widespread fears and may have contributed to later using gas in atrocity propaganda.
- Beginning in 1917, after the Communist coup, the Communist Soviet Union started to massively censor and falsify history using a wide variety of methods including fabricating/editing photographs and documents, propaganda films, as well as using elaborate show trials with numerous "testimonies" and "confessions" in order to publicly discredit and condemn opponents.
- Beginning in 1933, National Socialist Germany started using concentration camps. See The Holocaust: Argued reasons for the camps and deportations.
- Beginning in 1941, after the start of the war with National Socialist Germany, the Communist Soviet Union started spreading stories of German mass killings. One example is the alleged use of gas vans by the Einsatzgruppen. The Soviets also started conducting war crimes tribunals.
- Beginning in 1941, the Communist influenced Auschwitz resistance (led by Communists such as Bruno Baum and Hermann Langbein) started spreading stories of German mass killings. "But the pesticide Zyklon B was initially not mentioned; instead, in constantly changing manner, the killings were said to being committed by means of “electrical baths”, combat gases and a “pneumatic hammer.”" Bruno Baum has even stated that: “The whole propaganda which started about Auschwitz abroad was initiated by us with the help of our Polish comrades.” “It is no exaggeration when I say that the majority of all Auschwitz propaganda, which was spread at that time all over the world, was written by ourselves in the camp.” “We carried out this propaganda in [for] the world public until our very last day of presence in Auschwitz."
- The "Polish comrades" may refer to Polish partisans such as Jan Karski who around this time started spreading stories of German atrocities.
- 1942 - Zionist organizations such as the World Jewish Congress started spreading stories of German mass killings.
- 1942 - The Allies issued a "Joint Declaration by Members of the United Nations Against Extermination of the Jews".
- 1944 - Rudolf Vrba and Alfred Wetzler escaped Auschwitz and produced the Vrba-Wetzler report which, according to revisionists, heavily influenced many subsequent versions off what happened at Auschwitz. In November 1944, this report was the first to be officially sanctioned by the U.S. government in the form of a 1944 report by the War Refugee Board.
- 1944 - the Soviets reached the Majdanek camp which was used for large scale propaganda purposes as a claimed "extermination camp".
- 1945 - the Soviets reached the Auschwitz camp which was again used for large scale propaganda purposes as a claimed "extermination camp". "Even after the liberation of the camp by the Red Army, a Soviet-Jewish war correspondent published a report on an “electric conveyor belt” upon which inmates were killed with “electrical current.” The version in which Zyklon B became the murder weapon only became current during the following months."
- 1945 - Various reports issued by Soviet and later Communist Polish commissions with access to the eastern Holocaust camps in the territories now under Communist control provided "official" reports on what had happened in these camps. They were accepted as valid evidence at Nuremberg trials. Various claims by these commissions have later been rejected even by non-revisionists such as the use of steam for mass killings, Germany committing the Katyn massacre, four million deaths at Auschwitz, and Finland having put the whole Soviet population of occupied territories into camps where 40% died.
- 1945 - The western Holocaust camps were reached by American and British forces. Photographs and movies showing scenes due to starvation and epidemics were widely shown and framed as showing German mass killings. Allied "Psychological Warfare" units are argued to have played important parts in creating this impression.
- 1945 - The first Belsen trial convicted Josef Kramer and others. As Kramer had been an Auschwitz commander the trial also "confirmed" Auschwitz as an "extermination camp".
- 1945 - Kurt Gerstein allegedly wrote the Gerstein Report before his death. It was very influential in establishing the politically correct view on several non-Auschwitz camps and in establishing diesel exhaust over competing alleged killing methods such as steam and electricity.
- 1945-1947 - The Dachau trials.
- 1945-1946 - the International Military Tribunal (IMT) which was the first of the Nuremberg trials. It in effect made the politically correct view of the Holocaust an official truth that could not be questioned in the later Nuremberg trials: "The determination of the International Military Tribunal in the judgments […] that invasions, aggressive acts, aggressive wars, crimes, atrocities or inhumane acts were planned or occurred, shall be binding on the tribunals established hereunder and shall not be questioned except insofar as the participation therein or knowledge thereof by any particular person may be concerned. Statements of the International Military Tribunal in the judgment […] constitute proof of the facts stated, in the absence of substantial new evidence to the contrary."
- 1946-1949 - the Nuremberg Military Tribunals (NMTs).
- 1947 - Auschwitz trials in Communist Poland convicted Rudolf Höss and others. Höss allegedly wrote his memoirs before his death.
- 1949 - West Germany established. "The basic treaty establishing the partial sovereignty of the Federal Republic of Germany decreed that the verdicts of the IMT were final and binding for all official and judicial authorities of the Federal Republic... the Allies effectively placed the view of history resulting from their post-war judicial conclusions and verdicts beyond revision even for German courts."
- 1952 - The International Auschwitz Committee is created with the Communist and Auschwitz resistance leader Hermann Langbein as General Secretary.
- 1958-63 - the Auschwitz Museum published the "Calendar of Events in Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp".
- 1960 - claims of mass gassings in the western Holocaust camps (such as Bergen-Belsen and Buchenwald) are gradually abandoned or modified by orthodox historiography.
- 1961 - the Eichmann trial which was very widely reported on by the mass media.
- 1963-1965 - the Frankfurt Auschwitz trials in West Germany of former Auschwitz personnel.
- 1970 - the discovery of the October 6 Posen speech text.
- 1981 - Israel outlawed "Holocaust denial". This is gradually followed by "Holocaust denial" laws in a large number of Western countries.
- 1989 - the fall of Communism. Orthodox historiography by, for example, the Auschwitz Museum is substantially changed.
- 1989 - the publication of the first book by Jean-Claude Pressac. Many later orthodox works are by revisionists argued to be largely based on Pressac's writings, although often without acknowledging the source.
Timeline of Holocaust revisionism
Timeline of Holocaust revisionism. It will not attempt to judge which individual revisionist books and articles are the most important or list them.
- 1948 - the "father of Holocaust Revisionism", the Frenchman Paul Rassinier, published his first book.
- 1969 - the first Holocaust revisionist book in English is published in the United States. Around this time revisionist books also appear in Germany and England.
- 1980-2003 - The Journal of Historical Review
- 1985 - the first of Ernst Zundel's Holocaust trials.
- 1987 - the Committee for Open Debate on the Holocaust (CODOH) is founded.
- 1988 - the second of Ernst Zundel's Holocaust trials.
- 1989 - the fall of Communism. Some of the archival material in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union are gradually made publicly available. Revisionists have argued that these, such as the Central Construction Office of Auschwitz, add further support for Holocaust revisionism.
- 1994 - the journal The Barnes Review starts.
- 2000 - first book in the Holocaust Handbooks series.
- 2009 - the journal Inconvenient History starts.
Timeline of convictions for "Holocaust denial"
A 2009 article stated "Aside from widely publicized high profile cases, it is impossible to definitively state the number of innominate victims who have fallen under the punitive arm of Holocaust denial legislation since these laws were first enacted. It has been estimated that over 58,000 individuals in Germany alone have been prosecuted for various thought crimes during the period 1994 – 1999. During the course of one year, , Germany’s aggressive policy of enforcing these repressive laws accounted for 11,248 convictions. Of this number, 8,968 cases were ‘right-wing’ violations, 1,015 were categorized as “leftist,” and the remaining 1,525 cases primarily involved foreigners or other non-German related issues."
Some of the widely publicized high profile cases:
|Date||Name||Country where the sentence was pronounced||Sentence|
|September 1987/June 1999||Jean-Marie Le Pen||France, Germany||fines of €183,000 (1987) and €6,000 (1999)|
|Feb. 27, 1998||Roger Garaudy||France||6 months imprisonment (suspended), ₣240,000 (€37,500) fine|
|Jul. 21, 1998||Jürgen Graf||Switzerland||15 months' imprisonment (fled Switzerland to avoid sentence)|
|Jul. 21, 1998||Gerhard Förster||Switzerland||12 months' imprisonment, disgorgement|
|April 8, 1999||Fredrick Töben||Australia||7 months' imprisonment Mannheim, Germany - retrial - 2011 indefinitely stayed by judge Dr Meinerzhagen. October 1 - November 19, 2008, London, extradition to Mannheim, Germany, on European Arrest Warrant issued by Germany, failed. August 15 - November 12, 2009, Adelaide, Australia - for contempt of court because he refused to stop questioning the Holocaust's 3 basics: 6 million, systematic state extermination, gas chambers as murder weapon.|
|May 27, 1999||Jean Plantin||France||6 months' imprisonment (suspended), fine, damages|
|Apr. 11, 2000||Gaston-Armand Amaudruz||Switzerland||1 year imprisonment, damages|
|Feb. 20, 2006||David Irving||Austria||3 years imprisonment. Released and deported after serving 13 months.|
|Mar. 15, 2006||Germar Rudolf||Germany||2½ years' imprisonment|
|Oct. 3, 2006||Robert Faurisson||France||€7,500 fine, 3 months' probation|
|Feb. 15, 2007||Ernst Zündel||Germany||5 years' imprisonment|
|Nov. 8, 2007||Vincent Reynouard||France||1 year imprisonment and a fine of 10,000 euros|
|Jan. 14, 2008||Wolfgang Fröhlich||Austria||6 years' imprisonment (third offence)|
|Jan. 15, 2008||Sylvia Stolz||Germany||3½ years' imprisonment|
|Mar. 11, 2009||Horst Mahler||Germany||5 years' imprisonment|
|Oct. 23, 2009||Dirk Zimmerman||Germany||9 months' imprisonment|
|Oct. 27, 2009||Richard Williamson||Germany||€12,000 fine [later overturned]|
|Jan. 31, 2013||Gyorgy Nagy||Hungary||18-month suspended jail sentence |
|Feb. 11, 2015||Vincent Reynouard||France||2 years imprisonment |
Revisionist views on orthodox historiography
- Auschwitz: A Three-Quarter Century of Propaganda
- The Real Case for Auschwitz—Robert van Pelt’s Evidence from the Irving Trial Critically Reviewed - Part Five: The Origin of the “Convergence of Independent Accounts”
- Auschwitz: The First Gassing—Rumor and Reality
History of Holocaust Revisionism
- Milestones of Revisionism
- A Brief History of Holocaust Revisionism
- IHR: From Flagship to Millstone
- Codoh: About Us
- The Prohibition of Holocaust Denial
- Holocaust Handbooks, Volume 15: Germar Rudolf: Lectures on the Holocaust—Controversial Issues Cross Examined 2nd, revised and corrected edition. http://holocausthandbooks.com/index.php?page_id=15
- World War I Atrocity Propaganda and the Holocaust, Is There a Lesson Here? http://www.codoh.com/library/document/363/
- Anti-German Propaganda during WWI http://codoh.com/library/document/916/
- The Bryce Report, Report of the Committee on Alleged German Outrages http://codoh.com/library/document/905/
- Holocaust Handbooks, Volume 1: Germar Rudolf (ed.): Dissecting the Holocaust—The Growing Critique of ‘Truth’ and ‘Memory’ 2nd, revised edition. http://holocausthandbooks.com/index.php?page_id=1
- "Part Five: The Origin of the "Convergence of Independent Independent Accounts" in "The Real Case for Auschwitz—Robert van Pelt’s Evidence from the Irving Trial Critically Reviewed. Holocaust Handbooks 22. http://holocausthandbooks.com/index.php?page_id=22
- Arthur R. Butz. The Hoax of the Twentieth Century—The Case Against the Presumed Extermination of European Jewry. 4th, corrected and expanded edition. Holocaust Handbooks. http://holocausthandbooks.com/index.php?page_id=7
- Robert Faurisson. How the British Obtained the Confessions of Rudolf Höss. http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v07/v07p389_Faurisson.html
- The Majdanek Gas Chamber Myth http://holocausthandbooks.com/index.php?main_page=2&page_id=1009
- The Nuremberg Trials and the Holocaust http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v12/v12p167_Webera.html
- A closer look at the Soviet “Extraordinary State Commission” (ESC) which claimed to have investigated “Fascist Crimes” http://revblog.codoh.com/2011/06/a-closer-look-at-the-soviet-%E2%80%9Cextraordinary-state-commission%E2%80%9D-esc-which-claimed-to-have-investigated-%E2%80%9Cfascist-crimes%E2%80%9D/
- Alfred de Grazia, Commanding Officer of the Psychological Warfare Propaganda Team attached to headquarters of the US 7th Army https://furtherglory.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/alfred-de-grazia-commanding-officer-of-the-psychological-warfare-propaganda-team-attached-to-headquarters-of-the-us-7th-army/
- Dachau - The U.S. Army and Government lies about "extermination" and "homicidal gas chambers" - Microcosm of the Holocaust™ Fraud. http://exposing-the-holocaust-hoax-archive.blogspot.com/2009/10/dachau-us-army-and-government-lies.html
- Buchenwald—A Dumb Dumb Portrayal Of Evil. http://holocausthandbooks.com/index.php?main_page=2&page_id=1003
- Carlo Mattogno, Jürgen Graf. Treblinka Extermination Camp or Transit Camp?: Chapter VII: The Role of the Einsatzgruppen in the Occupied Eastern Territories http://holocausthandbooks.com/index.php?main_page=1&page_id=8
- Carlo Mattogno, Jürgen Graf, Thomas Kues: The “Extermination Camps” of “Aktion Reinhardt”—An Analysis and Refutation of Factitious “Evidence,” Deceptions and Flawed Argumentation of the “Holocaust Controversies” Bloggers; 2nd edition. Holocaust Handbooks. http://holocausthandbooks.com/index.php?main_page=1&page_id=28
- A Brief History of Holocaust Revisionism http://www.vho.org/GB/Books/dth/fndCarto.html
- The Prohibition of Holocaust Denial. http://www.inconvenienthistory.com/archive/2009/volume_1/number_2/the_prohibition_of_holocaust_denial.php
- "Le Pen Convicted for Racial Hatred", Associated Press, June 2, 1999. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- "Writer fined for Holocaust writings", BBC News, February 27, 1998. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Black, Edwin. "Denial of Holocaust nothing new in Iran / Ties to Hitler led to plots against British and Jews", San Francisco Chronicle, January 8, 2006.
- "Holocaust Revisionists Will Serve Time", The Spokesman-Review (Associated Press), July 21, 1998. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Francillon, Claude. "A Lyon, l'éditeur chômeur Jean Plantin jugé pour contestation de crimes contre l'humanité", Le Monde, September 9, 1999. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- "Holocaust revisionist sentenced", BBC News, April 11, 2000. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- Traynor, Ian. "Irving jailed for denying Holocaust", The Guardian, February 21, 2006. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- "German Holocaust Denier Imprisoned for Inciting Racial Hatred", Deutsche Welle, March 16, 2007. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- Stalinsky, Steven. "The Influence of a Man Who Denies the Holocaust" New York Sun, October 12, 2006. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- "Holocaust denier in Germany sentenced to five years in prison - Europe - International Herald Tribune", The New York Times, February 15, 2007. Retrieved 2009-11-14
- Valérie Igounet, Robert Faurisson. Portrait d'un négationniste, Paris, 2012, p.382 (ISBN 978-2207259986)
- "Austrian Holocaust denier gets six-and-a-half years in prison" European Jewish Press, January 14, 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- "German Neo-Nazi Lawyer Sentenced for Denying Holocaust" Deutsche Welle, January 14, 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- "Horst Mahler zu hoher Haftstrafe verurteilt", Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, March 11, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- "Report on the Trial of Dirk Zimmerman (Germany)", Occidental Quarterly, October 25, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- "German court tells holocaust denier he must face trial", Deutsche Welle, November 10, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- "Hungary orders Holocaust denier to visit Auschwitz ", The Jerusalem Post, February 3, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "Le négationniste Vincent Reynouard de nouveau condamné à la prison ferme", Le Monde, February 11, 2015. Retrieved 2015-02-15.