George Floyd riots
The George Floyd riots, politically correctly referred to as "protests", are or were riots at many locations in the United States and elsewhere, starting in Minneapolis on 26 May 2020, after the death of the Black George Floyd in association with being arrested by four non-White and White officers of the Minneapolis Police Department, all four of whom were summarily fired the next day, and later charged with various crimes.
Floyd, who had repeated criminal convictions, had heart disease and hypertension, had tested positive for coronavirus, and had the drugs fentanyl, methamphetamine, and cannabinoids in his system when he died. The incident was filmed on body cameras worn by the police, security cameras, and bystander smartphones, contributing to the riots, but may make it unlikely that Floyd's death was intentional.
Video bodycam footage leaked much later, in August 2020, has been argued to support the police officers.
Regardless, the police officer Derek Chauvin was convicted on two counts of murder and one count of manslaughter on 20 April 2021. See the "External links" section regarding less politically correct aspects. The trial of the other three officers that were present is scheduled to begin 23 August 2021.
The riots have included arson, assaults on police officers (including by being run over, by Molotov cocktails, and by being shot), large-scale looting and property damages, and many persons being wounded (including hundreds of police officers) and several persons being killed (including two Black police officers).
As of 30 July 2020, 24 people had died in association with the riots. Even a politically correct report published in September 2020 stated rioting at almost 220 different locations. Only the riots that occurred between May 26 and June 8 may cost more than $2 billion only in insurance claims according to a report, making them the most costly riots in American history, costing more than even all of the six major American riots combined during the turbulent 1960s, even after adjusting for inflation.
Antifa has been stated to be involved in the violence. Attorney General William Barr stated that "In many places, it appears the violence is planned, organized and driven by anarchist and far left extremists, using Antifa-like tactics, many of whom travel from out of state to promote the violence." Related to the riots, social anarchists/Antifa created by occupation in Seattle a "Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone" (CHAZ) or "Capitol Hill Occupied Protest" (CHOP) in Seattle. CHAZ/CHOP was eventually cleared, but rioting have continued in locations such as Portland.
Also related are demands to "Defund the police", with social anarchists actually meaning that the police should be abolished. Numerous police officers are stated to be considering leaving the police, for reasons such as anti-police sentiments in the leftist mass media and elsewhere.
A study estimated that "as a result of de-policing during June and July 2020, approximately 710 additional victims were murdered and more than 2,800 victims were shot."
"The Black Lives Matter movement is linked to more than nine-in-ten riots across the country, according to a recent study. The U.S. experienced 637 riots between May 26 and Sept. 12, and 91% of those riots were linked to the Black Lives Matter movement." Some Black Lives Matter leaders have declined to condemn, or supported, rioting and looting.
Allegedly neutral Wikipedia has been described as having strong leftist bias and censorship regarding the riots, including regarding the role of Antifa. Furthermore, the Wikimedia Foundation dropped any pretense of a "Neutral Point of View" and declared itself to be an activist propaganda organization. It stated that "Today, and every day, the Wikimedia Foundation stands in support of racial justice and with the movement for Black Lives. [...] On these issues, there is no neutral stance. [...] far more than a website. [...] calls on all of us to shape what we understand of our world." See the "External links" section.
- Black Lives Matter
- Ferguson, Missouri race riots
- Great Awokening
- Race and crime: Anti-police activism
- Race and crime: Bias in the justice system
- Race and crime: Brazil
- Race and crime: Race riots and mob violence
- Race riot
- Rodney King
- Last Night’s Riots in Minneapolis
- Michael Moore Is Right, Whites Shouldn’t Police Blacks
- Assaulted and Vilified, the Cops Save the Cities
- What the Minneapolis Riots Mean
- 431 Law Enforcement Officers Were Injured in the Black Lives Matter/Antifa War
- Der Fall „Kyle Rittenhouse“ (in German)
Argued relationships between IQ, personality traits, and riots
Death of George Floyd
- Even Right Abandoning Accused Minneapolis Cop—But They Shouldn't
- How Did George Floyd Die?
- Family Autopsy: Floyd Asphyxiated by Sustained Pressure
- Medical Examiner’s Autopsy Reveals George Floyd Had Positive Test for Coronavirus
- Why Derek Chauvin May Get Off His Murder Charge
- George Floyd: The Big Lie
- Wikimedia Foundation: We stand for racial justice.
- Wikipedia Spreads Conspiracy Theories, Foreign Propaganda in George Floyd Articles
- Wikipedia Editors Censor Antifa Involvement in Riots, Past Violence
- Minneapolis Burning: This Happened Because Antifa Weren't Punished After Charlottesville And Inaugural Riots
- Cracking Down on Misfits’ Crime Sprees and Big Tech
- Don’t Compare the George Floyd Riots to Charlottesville! (Oh, On Second Thought, Antifa Was Guilty There Too)
- Twitter’s Claims About Identity Evropa and Fake Antifa Account Are False and Irresponsible
- Understanding the Far-Left Threat
- Der Fall „Kyle Rittenhouse“ (in German)
- George Floyd: The Big Lie https://www.takimag.com/article/george-floyd-the-big-lie/
- 24 People Have Died Since Violence Erupted Following George Floyd’s Death https://www.amren.com/news/2020/07/24-people-have-died-since-violence-erupted-following-george-floyds-death/
- Riots? What Riots? https://www.takimag.com/article/riots-what-riots/
- Nolte: BLM Riots Are Officially the Most Costly Manmade Damage to American Property in History https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/09/16/nolte-blm-riots-are-officially-the-most-costly-manmade-damage-to-american-property-in-history/
- Cuts in policing have 'led to 710 murders and more than 2,800 gunshot victims' across the US in what one expert has dubbed the 'Minneapolis effect' amid warning to 'proceed cautiously with defunding cops' https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8787457/Cuts-policing-led-710-murders-2-800-gunshot-victims-US.html
- Black Lives Matter Linked To 91% Of Riots Over Three Months, Study Finds https://dailycaller.com/2020/09/17/black-lives-matter-riots-study-data-princeton/
- Dr. Atlas: Coronavirus surges linked mostly to protests -- and proximity to US-Mexico border https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-atlas-coronavirus-surges-linked-mostly-to-protests-and-proximity-to-us-mexico-border