After the war, he stayed in Germany under an assumed name, then moved to South America, first to Argentina (until 1959), then Paraguay (until 1960), and finally to Brazil. He drowned while swimming off the Brazilian coast in 1979. His remains were positively identified by forensic examination in 1985.
Mengele and the Holocaust
Mengele is notorious for at Auschwitz allegedly being involved in the Holocaust, such as by being prominently involved in the selections regarding who would be gassed immediately on arrival and who would be used as forced laborers. He is also alleged to have been involved in various horrible human experiments on the prisoners. He is a very frequently recurring character in the claims of Holocaust "witnesses".
During the postwar period, to his son and in private writings, Mengele rejected that he had been involved in atrocities, and stated that he had instead saved many lives at Auschwitz.
See the "External links" section regarding Holocaust revisionist criticisms of the allegations.
- Miklós Nyiszli - Mengele's assistant, who has been argued to be the most important source for the politically correct view on what Mengele is alleged to have done at Auschwitz.
- More generally regarding alleged Holocaust camp experiments on prisoners, see the article on this topic.
- The Making of a Monster: How Jews created the Mengele Legend
- Josef Mengele – the Creation of a Myth
- Dr. Mengele's “Medical Experiments” on Twins in the Birkenau Gypsy Camp
- Lessons of the Mengele Affair
- Mengele’s unknown writings to be auctioned
- Mengele: The Complete Story A Review
- Poor Josef Mengele! Man portrayed by Hollywood as Nazi kingpin lived in poverty and illness
- Re: quora.com / Tim O'Neill: Nazis never denied 'holocaust' https://forum.codoh.com/viewtopic.php?t=8165#p61307
Note that besides the external sources listed here, an alleged Holocaust confessor/witness may be extensively discussed in the external sources listed in the articles on the particular Holocaust camps and/or other Holocaust phenomena the individual is associated with.