2020 2021 2022 - 2023 - 2024 2025 2026
1990s 2000s 2010s - 2020s - 2030s 2040s 2050s
Events specifically related to the year 2023.
Events of 2023
- 6 February Turkey and Syria were struck by a catastrophic 7.8 magnitude earthquake that killed 59,259 people.
- Over the next three weeks, the region was hit with over 10,000 aftershocks. It was the deadliest earthquake in Turkey since 526 AD and Syria since 1822.
- 28 February The FBI publicly confirmed that they believed COVID-19 originated in a lab in Wuhan, China.
- 17 March The International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant against Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- The warrant was issued for the crime of forcefully deporting children from Russian-occupied parts of Ukraine into Russia. A warrant for the same crime was also issued against Russia’s Commissioner for Children’s Rights.
- 31 March Italy banned the use of OpenAI’s ChatGPT over data security concerns.
- Instead of responding to the concerns raised by Italy’s data privacy regulators, OpenAI simply pulled the plug for Italian users. ChatGPT was restored the following month with changes that allowed users to prevent the chatbot from using their data.
- 26 July Niger President Mohamed Bazoum was removed from office by a military coup
- 23 August India became the fourth nation to successfully land a spacecraft on the Moon.
- 7 October Begin of the Israel–Hamas war in Gaza
- 5 January Alwin Brandt, one of the last known living German officers of the Waffen-SS
- 12 January Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis Presley
- 24 May Tina Turner, singer and entertainer
- 17 July Richard Lynn, British scientist and race researcher
- 13 October Friedrich Grade, German engineer and naval officer