The term is derived from the Spanish and Portuguese "mulato", with uncertain origin, although it may derive from Portuguese "mula" (from the Latin "mūlus"), meaning mule, the hybrid offspring of a horse and a donkey. Some sources claim an origin from the Arabic term "muwallad".
The term may today be considered less politically correct and more unspecific terms such as "biracial" or "multiracial" may be preferred.
- "Mulatto" may refer to someone of half-Black ancestry or more unspecifically to someone with any mixed Black ancestry.
- "Quadroon" [25% Black).
- "Octoroon" [12.5% Black].
- "Hexadecaroon" or "Quintroon" [6.25% Black].
- Effects of race mixing: Latin America
- Haiti: Blacks and Mulattoes
- Race and intelligence: The genetics or not debate: Racial admixture - Studies on mixed-race groups have been one part of the debate on whether average measured IQ group differences are partially due to genetics or not.
- Race: Mixed race groups
- Slavery: Free Blacks and Black slaveowners in the United States - Also on Mulattoes.