The Dark Enlightenment is a movement critical of some argued aspects of the Enlightenment.
The neoreactionary movement (alternatively known as Neoreaction or NRx) is sometimes argued to be identical with the Dark Enlightenment and sometimes argued to be a subset.
Different sources disagree on how widely to define the movement. Some see it more narrowly as consisting of (former) libertarians. Other see it more widely as encompassing also groups such as some ethno-nationalists and some religious critics of modern society.
As a more narrow movement, some characteristics include:
- Many neoreactionaries are (former) libertarians and libertarianism still has influences on the movement.
- Human biodiversity is accepted, but White nationalism is explicitly rejected by leading neoreactionary figures.
- The movement is critical of (liberal) democracy. It has been influenced by the libertarian Hans-Hermann Hoppe, who has argued that monarchy is preferable to democracy and that some form of utopian libertarian capitalism is preferable to both systems. One example being a system of small non-democratic states allowing completely free migration, which is presumed to by competition force the states to allow high economic and social freedom.
- As for current and historical societies, neoreactionaries may think highly of certain authoritarian East Asian societies, such as Singapore and the direction which China is headed. They may also admire the Prussian authoritarian classical liberal economics of Cameralism.
- Jewish influence is often not discussed, which may be related to many of the leaders being stated to have Jewish ancestry. The argued problematic current establishment and culture is referred to as "The Cathedral".
- Unqualified Reservations (Moldbug) at Blogspot.com
- Outside In (Land) at XenoSystems.net
- The Legionnaire at Wordpress.com
- Hbd* Chick at Wordpress.com
- Occam's Razor Magazine at Wordpress.com
- Radish Magazine at Wordpress.com
- Thedening the West at Theden.tv
- More Right at MoreRight.net
- The Dark Enlightenment Manifesto by Nick Land
- An open letter to open-minded progressives by Mencius Moldbug
- The “Dark Enlightenment” is New Right Lite™ at Counter-Currents Publishing
- The Dark Enlightenment Hits Stage Two at American Thinker
- Meet The Dark Enlightenment: sophisticated neo-fascism that's spreading fast on the net by Jamie Bartlett (of Marxist think-tank Demos)
- A Reader Writes of his Experience Among the Dark Enlightenment Types by Mark Shea (critical view)
- The Dark Enlightenment: The Creepy Internet Movement You’d Better Take Seriously by Matt Sigl
- Voxplaining the Alt Right http://www.amren.com/news/2016/04/voxplaining-the-alt-right/
- http://unqualified-reservations.blogspot.com/2010/01/mencius-moldbug-babysitting-fund.html%7C Mencius' personal blog: "have I ever mentioned that I'm half Jew, and half Scotsman?"