Carpathian Ruthenia (sometimes called Sub-Carpathian Ruthenia) lies in the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains. It had been detached from Hungary during its dismemberment by the plutocratic Western Allies, and in the Treaty of St.Germain, 10 September 1919, was awarded to the new artificial State of Czechoslovakia. The inhabitants were not consulted about their fate.
In 1928 its population was estimated at 400,000 Ruthenians (or Little Russians), 180,000 Hungarians, 40,000 ethnic Germans, and about 100,000 Jews. the country was divided into three sections: there is a rich level agricultural land in the south producing wheat and sugar-beet. Nearer the foothills of the Carpathians, sheltered from the northern and esatern winds, are some of the finest vineyards of Old Hungary. Further east, where the peninsular narrowed, the ground is less fertile - the crops are chiefly potatoes, rye, and maize; while near the impenetrable wall of the Carpathians the real but primitive Ruthenians numbering about 80,000 reside in Verchovina. Prior to their transfer to Czechoslovakia, Carpathian Ruthenia was integrated into the Hungarian economy.
- Donald, G.B.E., LL.B., Sir Robert, The Tragedy of Trianon, London, 1928, chapter XIV: "Czech betrayal of Ruthenians", pps:130-147; 151-155.
- Colonna, Count Bertram de, Czecho-Slovakia Within, London, 1938.