East Jerusalem

From Metapedia
Jump to: navigation, search

East Jerusalem refers to the part of Jerusalem captured by Jordan in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, and subsequently by Israel in the 1967 Six-Day War. It includes Jerusalem's Old City and some of the holiest sites of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, such as the Temple Mount, Western Wall, Al-Aqsa Mosque and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

Following the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, Jerusalem was divided into two parts - the western portion, populated primarily by Jews, came under Israeli sovereignty, while the eastern portion, populated mainly by Arabs, came under Jordanian rule. Arabs living in such western Jerusalem neighbourhoods as Katamon or Malha were forced to leave; the same fate befell Jews in the eastern areas, including the Old City and the City of David. The only eastern area of the city that remained in Israeli hands throughout the 19 years of Jordanian rule was Mt. Scopus, where the Hebrew University is located, which formed an enclave during that period and therefore is not considered part of East Jerusalem. Following the 1967 Six-Day War, the eastern part of Jerusalem came under Israeli rule and was merged with the western municipality, together with several neighbouring West Bank villages. In November 1967, the United Nations Security Council Resolution 242 was passed, calling for Israel to withdraw from territories occupied in "recent conflict". In 1980, Israeli Parliament passed the Jerusalem Law declaring all of Jerusalem an "eternal and indivisible capital of the State of Israel," which has not been recognised internationally.

Part of this article consists of modified text from Wikipedia, and the article is therefore licensed under GFDL.