After the war, Stangl was captured by the Americans, but escaped, and eventually moved to Brazil. In 1967, he was arrested and extradited to Germany. In 1970, he was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment.
The revisionist Thomas Kues: "While awaiting appeal he met and talked to Jewish journalist Gitta Sereny, who later published alleged transcripts of the conversations in her book Into that Darkness (1974). On June 28, 1971, the day after their last conversation, Stangl suddenly died, allegedly from a heart attack."
The revisionist Jürgen Graf: "Sereny claimed that former Treblinka commandant Franz Stangl, whom she repeatedly interviewed in his prison, had confessed without reservation to the mass murders he had been charged with. Since there was no recording of her conversations with Stangl, however, Sereny could adduce no evidence whatsoever that she had rendered his utterances correctly. As a matter of fact, the whole story is frankly ludicrous: Stangl, who had been sentenced to life in prison, had appealed his sentence, so how can any sane person believe that he was foolish enough to admit to a journalist everything he had disputed in his application for appeal, thus ruining his chances, however slight they may have been, to become a free man again? But after his sudden and mysterious demise on 28 June 1971, Sereny was able to put into his mouth whatever pleased her."
- Sobibor Commandant testifies to the impossible
- The Alleged First Gas Chamber Building at Sobibór
- A Brief List of the Conveniently Deceased
Note that besides the external sources listed here, an alleged Holocaust confessor/witness may be extensively discussed in the external sources listed in the articles on the particular Holocaust camps and/or other Holocaust phenomena the individual is associated with.
- A Brief List of the Conveniently Deceased http://www.codoh.com/library/document/656/
- Carlo Mattogno, Jürgen Graf, Thomas Kues: The “Extermination Camps” of “Aktion Reinhardt”—An Analysis and Refutation of Factitious “Evidence,” Deceptions and Flawed Argumentation of the “Holocaust Controversies” Bloggers; 2nd edition. Holocaust Handbooks. http://holocausthandbooks.com/index.php?main_page=1&page_id=28