The Warburg family is a Jewish financial family of German Jewish and originally Venetian Jewish descent.
Some notable members include:
- Otto Warburg was elected head of the World Zionist Organization in 1911.
- Felix Warburg married Frieda Schiff, only daughter of Jacob Schiff. See also the article on Jacob Schiff.
- Felix's brother, Paul Warburg was an architect of the U.S. Federal Reserve System. Even Wikipedia describes him as the "father of the Federal Reserve".
- A third brother, Max Warburg attended the Paris Peace Conference of 1919 at Versailles, as part of the German delegation, and had great influence in the Weimar Republic.
Most members of the German Warburg family had fled Germany by the end of 1938. At least two family members remained in Germany, including Otto Heinrich Warburg, a Noble Prize winner with partial Jewish ancestry, who was allowed to continue cancer research during the war.
Three "cousins" of Max Warburg are claimed by Wikipedia to have died in Holocaust camps.
Max Warburg's son Eric was an influential intelligence officer in the United States Army during and after the war. As a German language speaker, he interrogated many prominent National Socialists, including Hermann Göring. “Göring’s economic bureaucracy had spearheaded the Aryanization of M. M. Warburg, and now fate, with a commendably poetic sense of style, created a fine opportunity for revenge,” comments Chernow. “Eric would call it ‘the grand finale’ of his wartime work."” Wikipedia states nothing on revenge, but instead states that Eric "was influential in restoring German-Jewish relations and rebuilding Germany's economic ties after the Second World War through his international business associations".
James Warburg, son of Paul Warburg, was an advisor of Franklin D. Roosevelt and helped organize the Society for the Prevention of World War III, which advocated a harsh peace for Germany. It succeeded in hardening attitudes towards Germany both in the media and in the government. See also Morgenthau Plan.
Members are also stated to have played an important role in resettling hundreds of thousands of Russian and eastern European Jews in the United States during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Haavara Agreement (which was economically beneficial for Max Warburg's bank), and in the arts to have extensively supported and “embraced modernism in part because, knowing that they were out of the mainstream anyway, they elected to foster rather than mitigate their sense of difference.”
- Powerful Jewish Dynasty Profiled
- The Jewish Hand in the World Wars, Part 1
- Powerful Jewish Dynasty Profiled https://codoh.com/library/document/2632/?lang=en