There are various associated controversies, such as the cause of the sinking of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, the role of the mass media, and the mass media depiction of the US "Rough Riders" regiment and later US President Theodore Roosevelt.
Less seldom mention aspects include the role of the Jewish Joseph Pulitzer in anti-Spanish propaganda in the mass media, Jewish participants in the Rough Riders, then Assistant Secretary of the Navy Theodore Roosevelt's pro-Jewish views and actions, and some Jews viewing the war as a revenge for claimed past Spanish mistreatment of Jews.
- Democratic peace theory
- Monroe Doctrine
- Puerto Rico
- Theodore Roosevelt - On other Jewish associations.
- The Precedent of the Spanish-American War
- The Fateful Year 1898: The United States Becomes an Imperial Power
- Revisionism and the Promotion of Peace
- Encyclopedia Britannica: Spanish-American War
- Encyclopedia Britannica 1911 Edition: Spanish-American War of 1898
- Encyclopedia.com: Spanish-american War
- The Secret Jewish History Of Teddy Roosevelt https://forward.com/culture/416081/the-secret-jewish-history-of-teddy-roosevelt/
- Today in History: Teddy Roosevelt and the Jews https://www.jpost.com/Christian-News/Today-in-History-Teddy-Roosevelt-and-the-Jews-439591