2017 Unite the Right event
The 2017 Unite the Right event was an alt-right/nationalist event in Charlottesville, Virginia, on 12 August 2017. It was planned to be a peaceful and lawful protest against the removal of Confederate monuments and to be in support of the Alt-Right more generally. However, the event was attacked by antifa and declared to be an “unlawful assembly" by the police. The Virginia Governor declared a "state of emergency" which made all public rallies in Virginia illegal.
The descriptions of the event in the politically correct mass media has been criticized as having extensive leftist bias, omissions, and errors. One example is not mentioning the antifa violence.
The mass media has focused on a car attacking and backing away from a crowd of communist opponents who were rallying after the event. One person in the crowd was killed and others were injured. The media labeled this an act of deliberate murder and/or terrorism. Furthermore, this collision was not something sanctioned by the organizers of the event, who wanted and expected that the opposing groups should have been separated by the authorities.
One criticism of bias in the mass media and the justice system has been regarding a Black individual charged with malicious wounding compared to the treatment of White participants in the event, such as Christopher Cantwell.
The event and the politically correct descriptions of it have been used as an excuse for various forms of increasing censorship of Alt-Right and pro-White views and organizations. This also even against organizations which had not participated in or promoted the event. This censorship trend started long before the event. No such actions have been implemented against the various antifa groups which openly call for violence against political opponents. See also The Alt-Right and censorship.
On 7 October 2017, a new Alt-Right event was done, without prior public announcement, thus preventing antifa activity, and the event occurred peacefully.
The pre-announced "White Lives Matter" event on 28 October 2017 in Shelbyville, Tennessee had as one purpose to demonstrate that the problems in Charlottesville were due to the (lack of) policing which was due to extreme leftwing local politics in Charlottesville. There was no violence, shootings or arrests in Shelbyville.
A preliminary report was presented to the Governor’s Civil Unrest Task Force on 26 October 2017. The task force is comprised of first responders from around Virginia, elected officials, but no one from Charlottesville. The report blamed Charlottesville for the civil unrest.
An independent review by a review team, led by former Virginia U.S. Attorney Tim Heaphy, was released on 1 December 2017. Among many other criticisms, "Heaphy accused Charlottesville police of tolerating violence during the morning of the Unite the Right rally so that it would encourage an unlawful assembly to be declared quickly: "We have evidence from the command center that the chief actually said 'let them fight. Let them fight for a little while and it'll make it easier to declare an unlawful assembly,’" said Heaphy. [...] The city was unsuccessful with protecting free expression as well as public safety on August 12, according to the report".
- ANARCHY: The Truth About Charlottesville
- Charlottesville Was A Turning Point For White People In America
- Charlottesville — Unite the Right — the Aftermath
- Here’s How Virginia State Police Facilitated Violence at Charlottesville
- ACLU Fires Back At Gov. Terry McAuliffe
- Charlottesville, Occupy Wall St And The Neoliberal Police State
- Lawsuits Against Activists in the Wake of Charlottesville
Reviews and reports
- BOMBSHELL: Independent Review Finds Charlottesville Police Department Thwarted Unite the Right Rally
- What Happened in Charlottesville?
- Sam Dickson’s Statement To Charlottesville Inquiry: “The Police Were Acting Under Orders. WHO GAVE THOSE ORDERS?”
- Narrative Collapse: Is Charlottesville’s James Alex Fields The Next George Zimmerman? http://www.vdare.com/articles/narrative-collapse-is-charlottesvilles-james-alex-fields-the-next-george-zimmerman
- Exact Sequence of Events for James Fields Crashing into Protesters in Charlottesville https://prowhiteparty.wordpress.com/2017/08/17/exact-sequence-of-events-for-james-fields-crashing-into-protesters-in-charlottesville/
- ANARCHY: The Truth About Charlottesville http://www.occidentaldissent.com/2017/08/14/anarchy-the-truth-about-charlottesville/
- The Mysterious Death of Heather Heyer https://redice.tv/news/mysterious-death-heather-heyer
- Political Correctness Distorts DeAndre Harris Arrest Media Coverage http://www.occidentaldissent.com/2017/10/11/political-correctness-distorts-deandre-harris-arrest-media-coverage/
- Charlottesville: DeAndre Harris Turns Himself In, Immediately Released On Bail http://www.occidentaldissent.com/2017/10/12/charlottesville-deandre-harris-turns-himself-in-immediately-released-on-bail/
- Christopher Cantwell Update https://altright.com/2017/10/13/christopher-cantwell-update/
- Political Prisoner Christopher Cantwell Denied Bail https://altright.com/2017/09/01/political-prisoner-christopher-cantwell-denied-bail/
- Alt-Right Hits Up DC And Charlottesville Again With A RWDS Flashmob https://altright.com/2017/10/09/alt-right-hits-up-dc-and-charlottesville-again-with-a-rwds-flashmob/
- White Lives Matter: An Autopsy http://www.occidentaldissent.com/2017/10/30/white-lives-matter-an-autopsy
- Preliminary Report Blames Charlottesville for Civil Unrest from Unite the Right Rally http://www.nbc29.com/story/36694324/preliminary-after-action-report-10-26-2017
- Updated: Independent Review of Charlottesville Rallies, Protests Released http://www.nbc29.com/story/36971052/independent-review-of-charlottesville-rallies-released