In 2016, he was accused of lying about the imprisonment at Auschwitz, escaping from the camp and having encounters with the likes of Josef Mengele. Hirt then admitted he had fabricated stories. However, also claims after this have also been criticized. See the "External links" section.
- A Holocaust imposter? Pa. man lied about Auschwitz imprisonment and escape, historian says
- History teacher who outed holocaust fraudster Joseph Hirt calls for apology or criminal prosecution
- Joseph Hirt’s Letter of Apology tells more lies to “explain” his previous ones, Part 1
- Joseph Hirt’s letter of apology tells more lies to “explain” his previous ones, Part 2
- Scrapbookpages: Joseph Hirt
Note that besides the external sources listed here, an alleged Holocaust confessor/witness may be extensively discussed in the external sources listed in the articles on the particular Holocaust camps and/or other Holocaust phenomena the individual is associated with.