Similarly to several other civic nationalist parties, it is critical of the mass immigration and is anti-Islamization, while also being pro-Zionist and pro-Jewish. Despite this, the party has often been accused of "racism". See Migration: Non-race realist immigration criticisms.
- 1 Events
- 2 Political program
- 3 External links
- 4 References
- On September 11, 2007, several members of Vlaams Belang were attacked by a Soviet-style police for publicly expressing their ideas against islamification of Europe,
- On June 14, 2014, at the Charing Cross Hotel, in central London, Vlaams Belang parliamentarian Philip Claeys was the guest-of-honour at the annual dinner of the Traditional Britain Group, when he made what was described as "a superb and uplifting speech".
A brief summary of the political program of Vlaams Belang is as follows:
1. Flemish state formation
- Vlaams Belang wants Flemish independence from Belgium.
- Vlaams Belang wants to do something about the flow of money from Flanders to Wallonia and Brussels.
- Vlaams Belang wants that Brussels remains the capital of Flanders.
- Vlaams Belang wants that Brussel-Halle-Villevoorde district is split to stop the Francization.
- Vlaams Belang wants amnesty for Flemish nationalists during WWII.
- Vlaams Belang wants cooperation with the Netherlands to guarantee a future for the Dutch language and culture in Europe.
- Vlaams Belang wants that the European Union respects the autonomy of its nations.
- Vlaams Belangs wants that Flanders gets its own diplomats so that Flanders will have a voice in international affairs.
- Vlaams Belang wants that Development Assistance given to counties in need is not used to make other countries dependent from aid from the West. They also demand a focus on the countries of the non-Western aliens in Belgium/ Flanders.
- Vlaams Belang wants a complete stop of immigration.
- Vlaams Belang wants to address the difference between "Western" values and "Islamic" values.
- Vlaams Belang wants to make it more difficult for immigrants to abuse the rules concerning family reunification.
- Vlaams Belang wants that illegal immigrants return to their countries.
- Vlaams Belang protests against a law from 2000 that gave the Belgium nationality to hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants. Vlaams Belang wants to abolish this law.
- Vlaams Belang wants that only citizens of the state have the right to vote. They don’t want that illegal immigrants can vote in local or national elections.
- Vlaams Belang wants that immigrants respect the law and adapt to the culture, norms, values and traditions. Vlaams Belang stresses that in Europe there is a separation between state and church, there is democracy, freedom of speech and equality of man and woman. For immigrants who reject, ignore or fight against this, a policy of return to their native country must be developed.
3. Safety and criminal law
- Vlaams Belang stresses the importance of prevention of crime. They refer to the anti-authoritarian ideas of May 1968 that have led to declining norms as one of the causes of the increasing criminality. They want a system of neighborhood police agents and security cameras to combat crime.
- Vlaams Belang wants to have an effective approach to deal with crime, consisting of (1) prevention, (2) a prompt and effective response, (3) alternative punishments, (4) effective and uncompressible punishments. They want to introduce a policy of zero-tolerance in problematic neighborhoods. This principle entails that each crime will result in a crime investigation.
- Vlaams Belang wants to strengthen the police force and investigation courts to stop the irresponsible dismissal of many cases.
- Vlaams Belang wants heavier punishments for youths who commit heavy crimes.
- Vlaams Belang wants to make it possible to compile statistics relating to crime and ethnicity.
- Vlaams Belang is against the legalization of recreational drugs.
- Vlaams Belang wants more police in the streets.
- Vlaams Belang wants to abolish a law that made it possible for criminals to be set free from jail after only one third of their jail term. They want to remove heavy criminals and terrorists from the society forever and they want to have cumulative punishments for people who commit crimes repeatedly.
- Vlaams Belang wants to make it easier for victims of crime to complain and see what is done with their complaint. Self-defense against crime must be extended towards the protection of possession.
- As far as the safety on the road is concerned, Vlaams Belang wants to shift the focus from heavy fines to an increase in the probability of catching traffic offenders.
- Vlaams Belang wants to separate the police department from the justice department.
- Before the independence of Flanders, Vlaams Belang already wants to introduce independent tax systems for Flanders and Wallonia.
- Vlaams Belang wants that the debt of the state is split between Flanders and Wallonia taking into account that most of the debts were made on behalf of Wallonia.
- Vlaams Belang wants to make policy agreements concerning the job market on local scale of Flanders and not only on the scale of the whole of Belgium.
- Vlaams Belang wants to have separate social security systems for Flanders and Wallonia.
- Vlaams Belang wants that strategic sectors, such as the water supplies, gas and electricity remain as much as possible under Flemish control.
- Vlaams Belang wants to lower the taxes.
- Vlaams Belang wants to lower the taxes and other obligatory government deductions from salaries.
- To stop the transfer of social security from Flanders to Wallonia the social security system must be split according to Vlaams Belang. Vlaams Belang also wants to avoid the privatization of the social security system, because social security is a task of the government. More general purpose money must be spent on social security, according to Vlaams Belang.
- There must be one regulation for all employees, according to Vlaams Belang.
- There must be one social counter per community where every inhabitant can be helped, according to Vlaams Belang.
- According to Vlaams Belang the overuse of medical services must be counteracted. This overuse, especially in Wallonia, threatens to make the costs of the medical sector uncontrollable, according to Vlaams Belang.
- Vlaams Belang wants a robust system for retirement. They say that people should have the right to retire after 40 years of work.
- Vlaams Belang wants to create as much as possible the opportunity for Flemish people to obtain their own homes, however, they also want to keep the prices for renting a house affordable for those who prefer renting a house instead of buying a house.
- Vlaams Belang intends to reduce the waiting lists for people with a handicap who need to live in a special accommodation.
- Vlaams Belang intends to reduce the waiting lists for children with learning and behavior problems.
- Vlaams Belang advocates family friendly policies. According to Vlaams Belang, families are the building blocks of the society and the best way of transmitting norms and values to the next generation. Families also counter the increasing egoism, indifference and aggression.
- Vlaams Belang wants to eradicate the tax disadvantages of marriage.
- According to Vlaams Belang, immigration is not the right tool to stop the aging of the society. They want a family and children friendly society.
- Vlaams Belang wants to introduce a salary for educators, consisting of benefits for home-working parents.
- Vlaams Belang wants to keep the childcare payable and of good quality.
- Vlaams Belang wants to pay attention to families with problems.
- According to Vlaams Belang, childcare benefits is a right of every child independent of the income or professions of the parents.
- Vlaams Belang wants to increase the tax free sum, especially for people with 2 or 3 children.
- Family and work. Vlaams Belang wants that any new regulation to make the job market more flexible is accompanied by an increased flexibility that favors family life.
7. Respect for life
Life is the highest virtue for Vlaams Belang. The procreation of life expresses the connection between the generations. New life, care for the weakest, -the unborn child and the sick-, is the foundation of the society. Vlaams Belang want as much as possible to restrict human decisions about life and death. Vlaams Belang is against abortus, except in exceptional circumstances. Vlaams Belang is against euthanasia, but also against unnecessary suffering of the incurably sick.
8. Culture, youth and sport
Vlaams Belang is a Flemish nationalistic party. They want to guarantee and develop the identity of the Flemish people.
- The Dutch language must remain the official language according to Vlaams Belang. They also want that the Dutch language remains a recognized language within the European Union.
- Vlaams Belang is against the multicultural monoculture.
- Vlaams Belang wants that the radio and television become unbiased, objective and effective.
- Cultural heritage must remain in Flanders according to Vlaams Belang.
- Vlaams Belang wants to give more time for sport in the education.
- Youth. Vlaams Belang wants that more attention is paid to prevent school skipping, vandalism, youth gangs, and drug use.
- Vlaams Belang wants less reformations of the education system. They want smaller schools and they say that propaganda for the "multicultural society" has no place in schools.
- Vlaams Belang wants educational freedom. People should have a right to start their own schools within the norms and values of the society.
- Vlaams Belang says that the government should continue to fund universities.
- Vlaams Belang wants better funding of education in the Dutch language in the Brussels area.
- There should be more recognition of the teacher profession according to Vlaams Belang.
10. Environment, spatial planning and mobility
Nationalism and care for the environment are not mutually exclusive according to Vlaams Belang.
- Vlaams Belang wants a constructive approach to care for the environment. Extra tax does not solve environmental problems. Tax deductions for the use of sustainable energy or lower taxes on environment friendly products are better ways according to Vlaams Belang.
- Vlaams Belang wants a ban on products that are bad for the environment. They also want to recycle waste and raw materials. Waste that cannot be recycled must be processed in an environmentally friendly way, according to Vlaams Belang.
- Vlaams Belang wants to protect green areas and expand them.
- Vlaams Belang says that erroneous government decisions in the past cannot be an excuse to force people to move from their house if the house was built not according to the government city planning.
- Vlaams Belang recognizes that agriculture is a strategic sector and the knowledge and expertise in this sector may not become lost (otherwise the country becomes dependent on other countries for the production of food).
- Vlaams Belang wants more mobility of people by making the roads less busy by using the principle "employment in your own area". Also more working from home can reduce the amount of traffic.
Vlaams Belang advocates democracy. The people should decide.
- Vlaams Belang says that the parliament should become the primary democratic body and that the senate can better disappear. The Flemish parliament should have more influence.
- Freedom of speech. The CGKR (an anti “racism” institute) should disappear according to Vlaams Belang. According to Vlaams Belang, courts should not interfere with politics by outlawing certain dissident political parties and views.
- Vlaams Belang wants to introduce referendums in order to involve the people more with the decision-making.
- Vlaams Belang wants to introduce more democracy at the more local level, in order to be more efficient.
- Government positions should be given to people on basis of their skills and capacities and not based on their political affiliations according to Vlaams Belang.
- The public press should become more unbiased and objective according to Vlaams Belang.
- http://vlaamsbelang.be/files/200806_programma.pdf accessed November 2012