J. Philippe Rushton
John Philippe Rushton (1943-2012) was a psychology professor at the University of Western Ontario, Canada. His research was into highly controversial areas such as race differences.
Rushton published numerous articles and several books and co-authored an introductory psychology textbook. He sat on the editorial board of the journal Intelligence.
Rushton began his career with studies on altruism, including twin studies demonstrating that it is substantially heritable.
Genetic similarity theory and ethnic nepotism
The genetic similarity theory argues that individuals tend to be more altruistic to individuals who are genetically similar to themselves and less altruistic, and sometimes hostile to individuals who are less genetically similar. This is a more general theory than kin selection theory, which only argues for altruism towards close relatives. Genetic similarity is argued to be possible to detect by observing how similar or dissimilar two persons are on a number of physical and psychological traits. This is argued to explain phenomena such as assortative mating, which refers to the tendency for similar persons to mate or more generally have a relationship. It may also contribute to phenomena such as ethnic and racial conflicts.
Race and intelligence
Rushton's research found support for that measured racial IQ differences are partly genetically caused. One example is research on differences in brain size between races. He has also with Arthur Jensen authored several reviews on race and intelligence research.
Differential K theory
The r-K life history theory (r stands for rate of reproduction, K for care of offspring) argues that species differ in regards how much energy they spend on producing many offspring vs. care for the offspring. Humans may be the most K species of all. Rushton's differential K theory argues that human races differ regarding their degree K-strategy, which explains many racial differences. His most well-known work regarding this is the book Race, Evolution, and Behavior, but he also published other research on this subject.
Other research areas
Rushton published articles on many other areas such as Race and crime.
Ruhston was the fourth president of the Pioneer Fund. He was also a grantee.
- Philippe Rushton memorial site
- Special Issue on The life history approach to human differences: J. Philippe Rushton in Memoriam
- Phil Rushton Has Died
- Remembering J. Philippe Rushton: December 3, 1943–October 2, 2012
- Jared Taylor Remembers Philippe Rushton And Arthur Jensen
- Rushton's personal page and curriculum vitae - archive
- Biography from the Pioneer Fund - archive
- "Academia's road to ruin" - archive
- Rushton Tells His Own Story: Part I
Works by Rushton
- Selected publications
- Articles by J. Philippe Rushton on Vdare.com
- "The New Enemies of Evolutionary Science"
- "The Mismeasures of Gould"
- Roediger, H. L. III., Rushton, J. P., Capaldi, E. D., & Paris, S. G. (1984). Psychology. Boston: Little, Brown.(1987, 2nd Edition)
- Ethnic nationalism, evolutionary psychology and Genetic Similarity Theory. Nations and Nationalism 11 (4), 2005, 489–507. http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rushtonpdfs/n&n%202005-1.pdf
- Frank Salter, Henry Harpending, J.P. Rushton’s theory of ethnic nepotism, Personality and Individual Differences, Volume 55, Issue 3, July 2013, Pages 256-260, ISSN 0191-8869, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2012.11.014
- Gottfredson, Linda. Mainstream Science on Intelligence. p A18. Wall Street Journal on December 13, 1994. http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/reprints/1997mainstream.pdf
- J. Philippe Rushton and Arthur R. Jensen. Race and IQ: A Theory-Based Review of the Research in Richard Nisbett’s Intelligence and How to Get It. The Open Psychology Journal, 2010, 3, 9-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.2174/1874350101003010009 http://www.charlesdarwinresearch.org/2010%20Review%20of%20Nisbett.pdf
- Rushton, J. Philippe; Jensen, Arthur R. Thirty years of research on race differences in cognitive ability. Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, Vol 11(2), Jun 2005, 235-294. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1076-8918.104.22.168 http://psychology.uwo.ca/faculty/rushtonpdfs/PPPL1.pdf
- J. Philippe Rushton Articles