Deaths of despair
Deaths of despair refers to death by alcohol, drugs, or suicide, one cause of worsening White demographics.
A 2017 article stated that a new analysis found “an even bleaker picture of the nation’s largest-population group. Driving the uptick are increases in “deaths of despair”—from drugs, alcohol-related liver diseases and suicide, as well as a slowdown in progress against death in middle age from heart disease and cancer […] The analysis paints a portrait of a gradual “collapse of the white, high-school-educated working class after its heyday in the early 1970s,” whose health, mental well-being, and attachment to the labor force have become successively worse for people born after 1945, they said. The opioid epidemic has only heightened a trend that was already under way before those drugs hit the market […] “This doesn’t seem to be about current income,” Ms. Case said in a call with reporters. “It seems to be about accumulating despair.” […] The phenomenon is occurring all across the country, both in urban and rural area.”
This has been a source of elation for leftists.
Such deaths are also increasing among younger people, according to a 2019 report.
Another 2019 report stated that such a trend was also occurring in the United Kingdom.
- Whites Are Dying of Despair
- Deaths of Despair
- Rising morbidity and mortality in midlife among white non-Hispanic Americans in the 21st century
- Death Rates Rise for Wide Swath of White Adults, Study Finds https://www.wsj.com/articles/death-rates-rise-for-wide-swath-of-white-adults-1490240740
- 'Sorry, Not Sorry': Leftists Celebrate Surge In White Working Class 'Deaths Of Despair'
- More Millennials Are Dying 'Deaths of Despair,' as Overdose and Suicide Rates Climb https://time.com/5606411/millennials-deaths-of-despair/
- Suicide, drug abuse and alcoholism linked to more middle-aged deaths than heart disease https://news.sky.com/story/suicide-drug-abuse-and-alcoholism-linked-to-more-middle-aged-deaths-than-heart-disease-11719426