Chelmno (in German: "Kulm"), lies 51 km north-east from Lódz, and was part of the German Reichsgau of Wartheland. In 1230, Duke Conrad of Marzovia gave the province of Chelmno to the Teutonic Knights in return for their agreement to crush the ancient Prussians.
Chelmno as an alleged extermination camp
Chelmno allegedly used gas vans as the main killing method.
The revisionist book Chelmno—A German Camp in History and Propaganda states that "The establishment of Chelmno camp fits perfectly into the National Socialist policy of deporting the Jews to the east. [...] No documentary or material trace exists for the use of “gas vans” in this camp. [...] Only one cremation oven has been confirmed archeologically in the Chelmno camp. It would have taken almost nine years to cremate all the bodies of the alleged victims of homicidal gassings in that oven. There are no material traces of the alleged mass cremation. [...] The camp’s claimed death toll number is not based on any documentation. It was set to 1,300,000 by the Commission of Inquiry into the German Crimes in Poland, but later reduced to 340,000 by Judge Bednarz. Polish historiography today assumes a figure of about 152,000 victims, which in practice coincides with the number of Jews who, according to the Korherr Report, were led “through the camps of the Warthegau… 145,301,” plus some 7,000 additional victims for the camp’s claimed second extermination phase in 1944. [...] The ultimate destiny of the Jews who passed through the Chelmno camp was not the alleged “gas vans,” but the region of Pinsk, in particular the area of the Pripyat Marshes, and partly also the Baltic countries."
- Carlo Mattogno. (2011). Chelmno—A German Camp in History and Propaganda. Holocaust Handbooks. http://holocausthandbooks.com/index.php?page_id=15
- Christiansen, Professor Eric, The Northern Crusades - The Baltic and the Catholic Frontier 1100-1525, Macmillan, London, 1980, p.79.