Homosexuality and the Catholic Church
The Church has recently been associated with various "pedophile" scandals involving priests. Responses have included that there is no relationship between celibacy and pedophilia but that there is an argued one between homosexuality and pedophilia. Thus, in effect, the presence of homosexual priests in the Church has been argued to be the cause of the abuses. Furthermore, many of the abuses are argued to involve adolescent males rather than children. Gay spokesmen have denied a relationship between pedophilia and homosexuality.
A Honduran cardinal was in 2002 argued to imply that Jewish influence in the media was exploited in the controversy in order to divert attention from the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and as payback for an argued pro-Palestinian tilt of the Catholic Church. The ADL "explained to the Cardinal that his comments were offensive because they perpetuated an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory about Jewish control of the media. The Cardinal apologized, said he never meant his remarks to be taken that way, and indicated that he would never say it again."
Homosexuals within the Catholic Church have been referred to as the "Lavender Mafia". Such homosexuality has been argued to have become increasingly common or at least to have become increasingly openly admitted. Some surveys have stated very high numbers of priests being homosexuals. A "gay lobby" have been implied to exist at very high levels. Especially in the 1970s and 80s an argued "progressive" environment in many United States seminars is argued to have excluded non-"progressives" from becoming priests. A homosexual “subculture” is argued to have come to dominate some seminaries. However, recruitment rules for priests have been tightened up.
- ↑ Pope's top adviser Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone blames gays for sex abuse scandals http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/popes-top-adviser-cardinal-tarcisio-bertone-blames-gays-for-sex-abuse-scandals/story-e6frg6so-1225853492450?nk=999ded96a7f4a3dcf808f1a618f9ff8b
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Cardinal tipped to become first black pope in modern times blames gay priests for abuse scandals facing Catholic church http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2281411/Cardinal-Peter-Turkson-blames-gay-priests-abuse-scandals-facing-Catholic-church.html
- ↑ ADL Outraged by Honduran Cardinal's Jewish Conspiracy Theory http://archive.adl.org/presrele/asint_13/4135_13.html
- ↑ 15% Identify as Gay or 'on Homosexual Side' http://articles.latimes.com/2002/oct/20/local/me-gaypriest20
- ↑ The Church and the Homosexual Priest http://americamagazine.org/node/146081
- ↑ Goodbye, Good Men, by Michael S. Rose http://www.culturewars.com/2002/may02_ggm.html