|Metapedia Fundraiser 2018: The Internet is the foremost field in the metapolitical battle of our time. Help us hold down the front.|
How to donate | List of donations
- 732 - Battle of Tours: Near Poitiers, France, leader of the Franks, Charles Martel and his men, defeat a large army of Moors, stopping the Muslims from spreading into Western Europe
- 1938 - The Munich Agreement cedes the Sudetenland to Germany.
- 1964 - The 1964 Summer Olympics opening ceremony at Tokyo, Japan, with first time of live Olympic telecast program by geostationary communication satellite.
- 1967 - The Outer Space Treaty, signed on January 27 by more than sixty nations, enters into force.
- 1970 - Fiji becomes independent.
- 1970 - In Montreal, Quebec, a national crisis hits Canada when Quebec Vice-Premier and Minister of Labour Pierre Laporte becomes the second statesman kidnapped by members of the FLQ terrorist group.
- 1973 - Vice President of the United States Spiro Agnew resigns after being charged with federal income tax evasion.
- 1985 - United States Navy F-14 fighter jets intercept an Egyptian plane carrying the Achille Lauro cruise ship hijackers and force it to land at a NATO base in Sigonella, Sicily where they are arrested.
- 1813 - Giuseppe Verdi, Italian composer (d. 1901)
- 1825 - Paul Kruger, President of the Transvaal Republic (d. 1904)
- 1861 - Fridtjof Nansen, Norwegian explorer, Nobel laureate (d. 1930)
- 1895 - Wolfram von Richthofen, German field marshal (d. 1945)
- 1935 - Abu Jihad, founder of the Palestinian group Fatah (d. 1988)
- 1963 - Daniel Pearl, American journalist (d. 2002)
- 1989 - Nikolay Yovev, Bulgarian nationalist
- 19 - Germanicus, Roman general (b. 15 BC)
- 1872 - William H. Seward, United States Secretary of State (b. 1801)
- 1875 - Aleksey Konstantinovich Tolstoy, Russian novelist, poet and dramatist (b. 1817)
- 1985 - Orson Welles, American director and actor (b. 1915)
- 1998 - Clark Clifford, United States Secretary of Defense (b. 1906)
- 2014 - Matt Koehl, American National Socialist leader (b. 1935)