- 1665 - The London Gazette, the oldest surviving journal, is first published.
- 1885 - In Craigellachie, British Columbia, construction ends on the Canadian Pacific Railway railway extending across Canada.
- 1908 – Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are reportedly killed in San Vicente, Bolivia.
- 1914 - The first issue of The New Republic magazine is published.
- 1916 – Jeannette Rankin is the first woman elected to the United States Congress.
- 1917 - Russian Revolution: In Petrograd, Russia, Bolshevik leaders Vladimir Lenin and Leon Trotsky lead revolutionaries in overthrowing the Provisional Government (As Russia was still using the Julian Calendar, subsequent period references show the date as October 25).
- 1917 - World War I: Third Battle of Gaza ends: British forces capture Gaza from the Ottoman Empire.
- 1918 - Kurt Eisner overthrows the Wittelsbach dynasty in the Kingdom of Bavaria.
- 1921 - The Partito Nazionale Fascista (PNF), National Fascist Party, comes into existence in Italy.
- 1956 – Suez Crisis: The United Nations General Assembly adopts a resolution calling for the United Kingdom, France and Israel to immediately withdraw their troops from Egypt.
- 1983 – 1983 United States Senate bombing: a bomb explodes inside the U.S. Capitol Building.
- 2002 – Iran bans advertising of United States products.
- 2007 - Holocaust Revisionism is decriminalized by the Spanish Constitutional Court. 1 2