- 1922 - Egyptology: Howard Carter, assisted by Lord Carnarvon, opens the tomb of Tutankhamun.
- 1942 - World War II: Battle of Stalingrad - General Friedrich Paulus sends Adolf Hitler a telegram saying that the German 6th army was surrounded.
- 1943 - World War II: War in the Pacific - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and Chinese leader Chiang Kai-Shek meet in Cairo, Egypt, to discuss ways to defeat Japan (see Cairo Conference)
- 1943 - Lebanon gains independence from France.
- 1963 - In Dallas, Texas, US President John F. Kennedy is killed and Texas Governor John B. Connally is seriously wounded by an assassin, identified as Lee Harvey Oswald, who was later captured and charged with the murder of police officer J. D. Tippit. That same day, US Vice-President Lyndon B. Johnson is sworn in as the 36th President of the United States.
- 1973 - The Italian Fascist organization Ordine Nuovo is disbanded.
- 1975 - Juan Carlos is declared King of Spain following the death of Francisco Franco.
- 2004 - The Orange Revolution begins in Ukraine, resulting from the presidential elections.
- 2006 - first article appears in Conservapedia