- 1689 - King William's War: William III of England joins the League of Augsburg starting a war with France.
- 1780 – American Revolutionary War: Charleston, South Carolina is taken by British forces.
- 1797 - First Coalition: Napoleon I of France conquers Venice.
- 1881 – In North Africa, Tunisia becomes a French protectorate.
- 1932 – Ten weeks after his abduction, the infant son of Charles Lindbergh is found dead in Hopewell, New Jersey just a few miles from the Lindberghs' home.
- 1941 - Konrad Zuse presented the Z3, the world's first working programmable, fully automatic computer in Berlin.
- 1949 – The Soviet Union lifts its Blockade of Berlin.
- 1962 – Douglas MacArthur delivers his famous "Duty, Honor, Country" valedictory speech at the United States Military Academy.
- 1965 – West Germany and Israel establish diplomatic relations.
- 2003 – The Riyadh compound bombings, carried out by Al Qaeda, 26 killed.