Matthew Raphael Johnson
Dr. Matthew Raphael Johnson is an American-born author, commentator and priest with the Old Calendarist Greek Orthodox Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia, previously the Holy Synod of Milan. Fr. Johnson had for a time a show on the Voice of Reason Radio Network, which was known as the Orthodox Medievalist and then the Orthodox Nationalist. A Slavophile and critic of Western modernity, Johnson has authored various books about Orthodox Christian culture and for a time edited the American Journal of Russian & Slavic Studies. Most recently, he has authored some articles for the Eurasia Review.
Born to a family of paternal Irish and maternal Ukrainian ancestry, Johnson is originally from Union County, New Jersey. He received his master’s degree at the University of Missouri, writing his thesis on social alienation in the works of Hegel and Nietzsche. He went on to complete his Ph.D. at the University of Nebraska, writing his dissertation on Michael Oakeshott's critique of modernity.
A well known expert on Russian history, Johnson has written numerous articles that have been published in major journals in several languages. He is also author of several books, including: Sobornosti: Essays on the Old Faith; Heavenly Serbia and the Medieval Idea; Orthodoxy, Autocracy, Nationality: Lectures on Medieval Russia; The Ancient Orthodox Tradition in Russian Literature and The Third Rome: Holy Russia, Tsarism and Orthodoxy amongst others.
At present, Johnson is an independent writer and a priest of the Holy Protection Orthodox Chapel, Fayetteville, Pennsylvania, a Greek Orthodox Old Calendarist jurisdiction. This was previously under the Holy Synod of Milan, however in 2011 it broke with them as the Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of North and South America and the British Isles (partly because Milan is advocating closer relations with the present, Sergianist-derived Moscow Patriarchate). His present research centers around small-state nationalism in Serbia, Ireland and Ukraine, and its relationship to the agrarian life.
- The Third Rome: Holy Russia, Tsarism and Orthodoxy (2004)
- Sobornosti: Essays on the Old Faith (2008)
- Heavenly Serbia and the Medieval Idea (2009)
- Orthodoxy, Autocracy, Nationality: Lectures on Medieval Russia (2009)
- The Ancient Orthodox Tradition in Russian Literature (2010)
- Russian Populist: The Political Thought of Vladimir Putin Articles and Essays (2012)
- The Orthodox Nationalist at Internet Archive
- Matthew Raphael Johnson at Eurasia Review
- The American Journal of Russian & Slavic Studies at RusJournal.com
- The Orthodox Nationalist at YouTube
- Frequently asked Questions about Matthew Raphael Johnson at That Time has Come
- The Judeo-Russian Maﬁa: From the Gulag to Brooklyn to World Dominion by Matthew Raphael Johnson
- Email: [email protected]