- 1461 - Wars of the Roses: Battle of Towton - Edward of York defeats Queen Margaret to become King Edward IV of England.
- 1638 - Swedish colonists establish the first settlement in Delaware, naming it New Sweden.
- 1847 - Mexican-American War: United States forces led by General Winfield Scott take Veracruz after a siege.
- 1879 - Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Kambula: British forces defeat 20,000 Zulus.
- 1936 - In Germany, Adolf Hitler receives 99% of the votes in a referendum to ratify Germany's reoccupation of the Rhineland, receiving 44.5 million votes out of 45.5 million registered voters.
- 1936 - German American Bund established
- 1951 - Ethel and Julius Rosenberg are convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage.
- 1971 - A Los Angeles, California jury recommends the death penalty for Charles Manson and three female followers.
- 1973 - Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam.
- 2004 - Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia join NATO as full members.