- 1622 - Jamestown massacre: Algonquian Indians kill 347 English settlers around Jamestown, Virginia, a third of the colony's population.
- 1765 - The Parliament of Great Britain passes the Stamp Act, which introduced a tax to be levied directly on its American colonies.
- 1829 - The three protecting powers (Britain, France and Russia) establish the borders of Greece.
- 1916 - The last Emperor of China, Yuan Shikai, abdicates the throne and the Republic of China is restored.
- 1945 - The Arab League is founded when a charter is adopted in Cairo, Egypt.
- 1997 - The Comet Hale-Bopp has its closest approach to earth.
- 2004 - Ahmed Yassin, co-founder and leader of the Palestinian Sunni Islamist militant group Hamas, and bodyguards are killed in the Gaza Strip by Israeli Hellfire missiles.
- 2006 - ETA, armed Basque separatist group, declares permanent ceasefire.