- 1389 - Ottoman and Serbian armies fight the Battle of Kosovo, opening the way for the Ottoman conquest of Southeastern Europe.
- 1838 - The coronation of Victoria of the United Kingdom.
- 1914 - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by young Serbian nationalist Gavrilo Princip , the casus belli of World War I.
- 1919 - The Treaty of Versailles is signed in Paris, formally ending World War I between Britain, France, Italy, the United States and allies on the one side and Germany and Austria Hungary on the other side.
- 1940 - Romania cedes Bessarabia (current-day Moldova) to the Soviet Union.
- 1941 - The FBI arrests 29 members of the German Duquesne Spy Ring in New York City.
- 1950 - Seoul is captured by troops from North Korea.
- 1964 - Malcolm X forms the Organization of Afro-American Unity.
- 1967 - Israel annexes East Jerusalem.
- 1994 - Members of the Aum Shinrikyo cult release sarin gas attack at Matsumoto, Japan, 7 persons killed, 660 injured.
- 2006 - The Republic of Montenegro was admitted as the 192nd Member of the United Nations by General Assembly resolution 60/264.