- 1709 - Peter the Great defeats Charles XII of Sweden at the Battle of Poltava
- 1759 - General James Wolfe starts siege of Quebec.
- 1806 - The British capture Buenos Aires during the British invasions of the Río de la Plata.
- 1844 - Joseph Smith, Jr., founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was murdered at the Carthage, Illinois jail, along with his brother, Hyrum Smith, by a mob.
- 1893 - Crash of the New York Stock Exchange.
- 1941 - Offices of the Socialist Workers Party are raided by the FBI in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota
- 1950 - The United States decides to send troops to fight in the Korean War.
- 1954 - The world's first nuclear power station opens in Obninsk, near Moscow.
- 1977 - France grants independence to Djibouti.
- 1991 - Slovenia, after declaring independence two days previous, is invaded by Yugoslav troops, tanks, and aircraft, starting the Ten-Day War.