- 1775 - American Revolutionary War: The Continental Army is established by the Continental Congress, marking the birth of the United States Army.
- 1777 - Stars and Stripes adopted by Congress as the Flag of the United States.
- 1789 - Whisky distilled from maize is first produced by American clergyman the Rev Elijah Craig. It is named Bourbon because Rev Craig lived in Bourbon County, Kentucky.
- 1800 - French Army of First Consul Napoleon Bonaparte defeats the Austrians at the Battle of Marengo in Northern Italy and re-conquers Italy.
- 1807 - Emperor Napoleon I's French Grande Armee defeats the Russian Army at the Battle of Friedland in ]]Poland]], modern Russian Kaliningrad Oblast, ending the War of the Fourth Coalition.
- 1846 - Bear Flag Revolt begins - Anglo settlers in Sonoma, California, start a rebellion against Mexico and proclaim the California Republic.
- 1900 - Hawaii becomes a United States territory.
- 1940 - World War II: Paris falls under German occupation, and Allied forces retreat.
- 1941 - Soviet mass deportations and murder of Estonians, Lithuanians and Latvians, the June deportation, began.
- 1941 – FDR freezes German and Italian assets in America
- 1982 - Falklands War ends: Argentine forces in the capital Stanley unconditionally surrender to British forces.