- 1619 - In Jamestown, Virginia, the first representative assembly in the Americas, the House of Burgesses, convenes for the first time.
- 1629 - An earthquake in Naples, Italy kills 10,000 people.
- 1729 - Baltimore, Maryland is founded.
- 1956 – A joint resolution of the U.S. Congress is signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, authorizing "In God We Trust" as the U.S. national motto.
- 1975 - Jimmy Hoffa disappears from the parking lot of the Machus Red Fox restaurant in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit, at about 2:30 p.m. He is never seen or heard from again.
- 1980 – Vanuatu gains independence.
- 2003 – In Mexico, the last 'old style' Volkswagen Beetle rolls off the assembly line.