- 588BC - Nebuchadrezzar II of Babylon lays siege to Jerusalem under Zedekiah's reign. The siege lasts until July 18, 586 BC.
- 69 - Otho seizes power in Rome, proclaiming himself Emperor of Rome, but only rules for three months before committing suicide.
- 1559 - Elizabeth I of England is crowned in Westminster Abbey by Owen Oglethorpe, the Bishop of Carlisle, instead of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- 1582 - Russia cedes Livonia and Estonia to Poland.
- 1759 - The British Museum opens.
- 1919 - Rosa Luxemburg and Karl Liebknecht, two of the most prominent Judeo-Bolsheviks in Germany, are brought to justice by the Freikorps.
- 1951 - Ilse Koch, The "Bitch of Buchenwald", wife of the commandant of the Buchenwald labour camp, is sentenced to life imprisonment by a court in West Germany.
- 1970 - Muammar al-Qaddafi is proclaimed premier of Libya.
- 2001 - Wikipedia, a free Wiki content encyclopedia, goes online.