Imperium: The Philosophy of History and Politics is a book by the ideologue Francis Parker Yockey (using the pen name Ulick Varange). Written in Brittas Bay, Ireland, in 1947, Imperium is described by its author as a Spenglerian critique of materialism and rationalism (and an advocacy of a pan-European fascist united Europe). Yockey declared that he was deeply indebted to Spengler's works including his 1920 Cultural analysis, Der Untergang des Abendlandes (Decline of the West).
Imperium was first published in Great Britain in 1948 and issued in two volumes with a run of one thousand copies for the first volume and two hundred for the second. Two different printers were used. Westropa Press for the first volume and Brooks and Jones & Dale, London, for the second volume. This discrepancy in the number of copies and the change of printers shows the difficulty in financing the publication of Yockey‘s first work.
In 1962 Imperium was first published in America by Charles L. Smith under the imprint Truth Seeker. At the time, Smith was publisher of The Truth Seeker, an atheist racial-nationalist publication. In 1969 a softcover edition was published by Noontide Press. The Introduction attributed to Willis Carto in the Noontide edition was actually penned by Dr. Revilo P. Oliver.
Quotes from the Book
- "For the animals, that which appears — matter — is Reality. The world of sensation is the world. But for primitive man, and a fortiori for Culture-man, the world separates out into Appearance and Reality. Everything visible and tangible is felt as a symbol of something higher and unseen. This symbolizing activity is what distinguishes the human soul from the less complicated Life-forms. Man possesses a metaphysical sense as the hall-mark of his humanity. But it is precisely the higher reality, the world of symbols, of meaning and purpose, that Materialism denied in toto. What was it then, but the great attempt to animalize man by equating the world of matter with Reality, and merging him into it?"
- "I set forth here then the two great action-tasks of the Inner Imperative of the West: First, the liquidation of the tyranny of 19th century ideas. This means the complete cleansing of the Western soul from every form of Materialism, from Rationalism, Equality, social chaos, Communism, Bolshevism, liberalism, Leftism of every variety, Money-worship, democracy, finance-capitalism, the domination of Trade, nationalism, parliamentarism, feminism, race-sterility, weak ideals of “happiness” and the like, of every form of class war. Replacing these ideals is the strong and manly Idea of the Age of Absolute Politics: Authority, Discipline, Faith, Responsibility, Duty, Ethical Socialism, Fertility, Order, State, Hierarchy — the creation of the Empire of the West."
- "Mediocrity rises over the horizon of a dying race as its last great ideal; total mediocrity, renunciation of all greatness and distinction of any kind whatever; also mediocrity of the racial blood-stream — anyone can come in now, not only on our terms, for there are no more terms, and there are no racial differences, everything is one, dull, eventless, mediocre. The weakening of the will is not hard put to find an ideology which rationalizes it as 'progress,' everything desirable, the aim of all previous history. The democracy-liberalism complex lies to hand, and it acquires in such times the meaning of Death — of race, nation and Culture. There are no human differences, everyone is equal, men are women, women are men, 'the individual' is everything, Life is a long holiday whose main problem is devising new and more stupid pleasures, there is no God, no State, off with the head of anyone who says there is a mission, who wishes to resurrect Authority. These symptoms, or similar ones, will be found present at the demise of every upper stratum whose will is weakened."
- "The power in Europe to-day is held by two kinds of men: Cultural aliens, and traitors. Can a Civilization die thus? Will two formless powers be able to strangle a Culture, starve and disperse its population? This work is an expression of my belief that they cannot, that the inscrutable force of Destiny will prevail over outer forces as well as against the inner obstacle of the Past. Precisely at the moment when their victory seems full-blown and permanently secured, Europe begins to stir. Widened and chastened by tragedy, defeat, and catastrophe the Western soul is emerging from the ruins, unbroken in its will, and purer in its spiritual unity than ever before. The great dream and aim of Leibnitz, the uniting of all the States of Europe, is closer by virtue of Europe’s defeat, for in that defeat, it perceives its unity. The mission of this generation is the most difficult that has ever faced a Western generation. It must break the terror by which it is held in silence, it must look ahead, it must believe when there is apparently no hope, it must obey even if it means death, it must fight to the end rather than submit. Fortifying it is the knowledge that against the Spirit of Heroism no materialistic force can prevail."
- "The West has something to devote to the contest that neither the Barbarian nor the parasite has: the force of the mightiest superpersonal Destiny that has ever appeared on this earth-ball. This superpersonal Idea has such tremendous force that no number of scaffold-trials or massacres, no heaps of starved or pyramids of skulls, can touch it."
- "Napoleon knew, and the West still knows, the primacy of the spiritual in warfare. The soil of Europe, rendered sacred by the streams of blood which have made it spiritually fertile for a millennium, will once again stream with blood until the barbarians and distorters have been driven out and the Western banner waves on its home soil from Gibraltar to North Cape, and from the rocky promontories of Galway to the Urals. This is promised, not by human resolves merely, but by a higher Destiny, which cares little whether it is 1950, 2000, or 2050. This Destiny does not tire, nor can it be broken, and its mantle of strength descends upon those in its service."
Yockey told his wife and sister he coded his work so there would be no doubt as to its authorship. On pages 480-1 at the start of each successive paragraph the first letters spell FYOCKEY. The same code is repeated on pages 498-9. In 1971 Terrence D. Oaks, of Los Angeles with the help an amateur cryptographer discovered the code appearing in two places of the text.
The 20th Century Historical Outlook
- The Two Aspects of History
- The Relativity of History
- The Meaning of Facts
- The Demise of the Linear View of History
- The Structure of History
- The Civilization-Crisis
- The Scientific-Technical World-Outlook
- The Imperative of Our Age
The 20th Century Political Outlook
- The Nature of Politics
- The War-Politics Symbiosis
- The Laws of Totality and Sovereignty
- The Pluralistic State
- The Law of Constancy of Inter-Organismic Power
- The Law of Constancy of Intra-Organismic Power
- The Political Pluraverse
- League of Nations
- The Inner Aspect of the Law of Sovereignty
- Political Organisms and War
- The Law of Political Plenum
- The Law of Protection and Obedience
- The Two Political Anthropologies
- Association and Dissociation of Forms of Thought and Action
(A) Culture Health
- The Articulation of a Culture
- Tradition and Genius
- Genius and the Age of Absolute Politics
- Race, People, Nation, State
- Subjective Meaning of Race
- Horizontal Race v. Vertical Race
- Race and Policy
- Nation and History
- Nation and Rationalism
- Nation in the 20th Century
(B) Culture Pathology
- Culture Pathology
- Culture Parasitism
- Culture Distortion
- Culture Retardation as a Form of Culture Distortion
- Culture Distortion Arising from Parasitic Activity
- The Origins of America
- The American Ideology
- The War of Secession 1861-1865
- The American Practice of Government
- The History of American Imperialism
- American Imperialism in the Age of Annihilation Wars
- The American Revolution of 1933
- The Negro in America
- Culture-Retardation in America
- The Conduct of American Foreign Affairs from 1933
- The Future of America
The World Situation
- The Political World
- The First World War
- The Second World War
- The Terror
- The Abyss
- "The Truth Seeker, R.I.P.", by Professor Revilo P. Oliver (August 1989)
- The Beast Reawakens, by Martin A. Lee, page 186
- '"Code Cracked", Washington Observer Newsletter, Number 135, March 15, 1972
- The Proclamation of London
- The Enemy of Europe
- European Liberation Front
- Which Way Western Man?
- Lineage of American nationalist organizations and individuals