- 1892 - St. Petersburg, Florida is incorporated.
- 1940 - Finland initiates Winter War peace negotiations.
- 1984 - Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau announces he will retire as soon as the Liberals can elect another leader.
- 1988 - South African archbishop Desmond Tutu is arrested along with 100 clergymen during a five-day anti-apartheid demonstration in Cape Town
- 1996 - A Peruvian Boeing 737 crashes in the Andes, killing 123 people.
- 2004 - Jean-Bertrand Aristide resigns as President of Haiti following popular rebel uprising.
- 1868 - Ludwig I of Bavaria (b. 1786)