Mug shot of Curtis Allgier
|Born||August 25, 1979|
|Status||Incarcerated in Salt Lake County Jail|
Curtis Michael Allgier (b. August 25, 1979) is a white supremacist, National Socialist skinhead from Hill City, South Dakota who is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail in Salt Lake City, Utah, for the murder of corrections officer Stephen Anderson.
Prior arrests and convictions
Allgier's criminal record begins in 1998 with convictions for theft and reckless driving in South Dakota. He was charged with felony burglary, forgery and theft in Utah during October 2000, after he burglarized a neighbor's apartment and made out a stolen check to himself for $300. That month, he was also charged in another county with carrying a concealed handgun and sentenced to 180 days and probation.
Allgier fled Utah in August 2001, which led to a one-to-15-year sentence. Paroled in May 2003, he then was arrested and sent back to prison in July 2004 for traveling to California without authorization, and possessing two knives. He was paroled in October 2006, serving another 27 months in prison. Then in November, he became a fugitive on a parole violation for two days before a Salt Lake City SWAT team arrested him at a local hotel. An armed Allgier barricaded himself for a time inside a room but was captured after he fell through the hotel's ceiling, where he had tried to hide. On June 14, 2006, he was sentenced to 104 months in prison for being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. It was during the course of this incarceration that the 2007 Salt Lake City murder occurred.
On the morning of June 25, 2007, Anderson escorted Allgier to the University of Utah, where Allgier was scheduled for an MRI, because he had been complaining of back problems. While waiting with Anderson in an examination room at the university's orthopedic center, Allgier was unshackled. He then overpowered and disarmed Anderson and shot him in the head, although Allgier later stated that the gun went off accidentally during the struggle. After fleeing the clinic on foot, Allgier carjacked a vehicle, and led police on a high-speed chase. Allgier was captured at a fast food restaurant a few miles away, when a man tackled and held him until the police arrived.
- Crime Rant.
- Offender Search. Utah Department of Corrections.
- Extremism in the News. ADL.
- Allgier Called a Friend with Alleged Confession. ksl.com.
- SLPC Intelligence Report, Fall 2007, Issue 127. Southern Poverty Law Center.
- Curtis Allgier Kills Corrections Officer, Captured After Chase. The National Ledger.
- Witness: Allgier was unrestrained before shooting. The Salt Lake Tribune (March 30, 2010).
- Why did this happen? Probe seeks answers in National Socialist inmate's bloody bid for freedom. The Salt Lake Tribune. Archived from the original on June 28, 2007.
- Curtis Allgier Speaks From His Jail Cell. KSLTV.