1900 1901 1902 1903 1904
1880s 1890s - 1900s - 1910s 1920s
The decade from January 1, 1900 to December 31, 1909 is sometimes referred to as the 1900s, although this term can equally be used for the years 1900–1999.
Events and trends
- Widespread application of the internal combustion engine including mass production of the automobile
- Wide popularity of home phonograph
- Panama Canal is built by the United States
- The Photostat machine begins modern era of document imaging
- Wright Brothers fly at Kitty Hawk, NC.
Literature and art
- Pablo Picasso paints Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, considered by some to be the birth of modern art.
- Joseph Conrad publishes Heart of Darkness
- Thomas Mann publishes Buddenbrooks
- Art Nouveau
- Joseph Conrad publishes the novella Heart of Darkness in 1902, after the serial release in 1898
- Joseph Conrad publishes The Secret Agent in 1907
- Jack London publishes The Call of the Wild in 1903
- Lucy Maud Montgomery publishes Anne of Green Gables in 1908
- Serbian writers use the Belgrade literary style, an Ekavian writing form which set basis for the later standardization of the Serbian language
War, peace and politics
- The New Imperialism
- Demand for Home Rule for Ireland
- Second Boer War ends
- American proclamation of the end of the Philippine-American War
- British colonies in Australia federate, forming the Commonwealth of Australia
- Russo-Japanese War establishes the Empire of Japan as a world power
- The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and the French Third Republic sign Entente Cordiale
- The Russian Revolution of 1905.