1840 1841 1842 - 1843 - 1844 1845 1846
1810s 1820s 1830s - 1840s - 1850s 1860s 1870s
Events of 1843
- February 6 – The Virginia Minstrels perform the first minstrel show (Bowery Amphitheatre, New York City).
- February 11 – Giuseppe Verdi's opera I Lombardi premieres in Milan.
- March 15 – Victoria, British Columbia, is founded by the Hudson's Bay Company as a trading post and fort.
- May 4 – Natal is proclaimed a British colony.
- May 18 – The Disruption in Edinburgh of the Free Church of Scotland from the Church of Scotland.
- May 22 – The first major wagon train headed for the American Northwest sets out with one thousand pioneers from Elm Grove, Missouri on the Oregon Trail.
- May 23 – Chile takes possession of the Strait of Magellan.
- July 1
- July 19 – The SS Great Britain is launched from Bristol.
- August 15 – Tivoli Gardens, one of the oldest still intact amusement parks in the world, opens in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- September 3, Popular uprising in Athens, Greece, including citizens and military captains, to require from King Otto to issue a liberal Constitution to the state, which was governed since independence (1830) by various domestic and foreign centres of profits.
- October 13 – In New York City, Henry Jones and 11 others found B'nai B'rith (the oldest Jewish service organization in the world).
- November 11 – Hans Christian Andersen's The Ugly Duckling is first published.
- November 28 – Ka La Ku'oko'a (Hawaiian Independence Day): The Kingdom of Hawai`i is officially recognized by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and July Monarchy France as an independent nation.
- December 19 – Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol is first published.