1830 1831 1832 1833 1834
1810s 1820s - 1830s - 1840s 1850s
The 1830s decade ran from January 1, 1830, to December 31, 1839.
Events and trends
- Electromagnetic induction discovered by Michael Faraday.
- Evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin's expedition on the HMS Beagle.
- Dutch-speaking farmers known as Voortrekkers emigrate northwards from the Cape Colony.
- Croquet invented in Ireland.
- Railroad construction begins in earnest in the United States.
- Egba refugees fleeing the Yoruba civil wars found the city of Abeokuta in south-west Nigeria.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints founded by Joseph Smith.
- The stealthy murderers called "thugs" are eradicated by William Sleeman and his team in British India.
- Texas Revolution begins in Texas.
- The First Opium War between the United Kingdom and the Qing Empire of China started in 1839. It would end three years later with the signing of the Treaty of Nanking on 1842-08-29.
- Robert's Quartet, a group of galaxies, is discovered.
- The Brussels Parliament declares Belgian independence, in revolt against the Dutch government.
- The Presidency of Andrew Jackson in the United States.
- A period of economic prosperity in America and Europe, mainly due to increasing trade, the mass production of railroads, and the Erie Canal.
- The first assassination attempt on an American President with Andrew Jackson being shot at twice.
- The destruction of the Second Bank of the United States in 1836.
- Emperor Daoguang (道光帝) (China)
- Emperor Francis II (Austria)
- Emperor Ferdinand I (Austria)
- Chancellor Klemens Wenzel von Metternich (Austria)
- King Louis-Philippe (July Monarchy France)
- Frederick William III of Prussia (Prussia)
- Pope Gregory XVI
- Emperor Nicholas I (Russia)
- King Ferdinand VII (Spain)
- King Charles XIV John (Sweden)
- King William IV (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- Queen Victoria (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- Prime Minister Lord Grey (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- Prime Minister Lord Melbourne (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland)
- President Andrew Jackson (United States)
- President Martin Van Buren (United States)
- President Sam Houston (Republic of Texas)
- President Mirabeau B. Lamar (Republic of Texas)
- Shahs of Persia (Qajar dynasty)