1802 1803 1804 - 1805 - 1806 1807 1808
1770s 1780s 1790s - 1800s - 1810s 1820s 1830s
Events of 1805
- January 11 – Michigan Territory is created.
- February 15 – The Harmony Society is officially formed.
- March 1 – Justice Samuel Chase is acquitted of impeachment charges by the U.S. Senate.
- March 4 – Thomas Jefferson is sworn in for a second term as President of the United States.
- March 5 – The New Brunswick Legislature passes a bill to advance literacy in the province, which eventually leads to the creation of public education in what is now Canada.
April – July
- April 27 – United States Marines and Berbers attack the Tripolitan city of Derna (The "Shores of Tripoli").
- April 29 – Rutger Jan Schimmelpenninck is appointed as Grand Pensionary of the Batavian Republic by Napoleon.
- June 1 – Luigi Boccherini is buried in Italy after being found dead on May 28.
- June – War ends between Tripoli and the United States of America.
- June 4 – The first Trooping the Colour ceremony is held at the Horse Guards Parade in London.
- June 11 – Detroit burns to the ground; most of the city is destroyed.
- June 13 – Lewis and Clark Expedition: Scouting ahead of the expedition, Meriwether Lewis and four companions sight the Great Falls of the Missouri River, confirming they are heading in the right direction.
- July 9 – Muhammad Ali Pasha founds his dynasty in Egypt.
- October 17 – Napoleonic Wars – Battle of Ulm: Austrian General Mack von Leiberich is forced to surrender his entire army to Napoleon after being surrounded.
- October 21 – Napoleonic Wars – Battle of Trafalgar: British naval fleet led by Admiral Horatio Nelson defeats a combined French and Spanish fleet off the coast of Spain; however, Admiral Nelson is fatally shot.
- November 7 – The Lewis and Clark Expedition arrives at the Pacific Ocean.
- November 11 – Napoleonic Wars – Battle of Dürenstein: 8,000 French troops attempt to slow the retreat of a vastly superior Russian and Austrian force.
- November 16 – Napoleonic Wars – Battle of Schöngrabern: – Russian forces under Pyotr Bagration delay the pursuit by French troops under Murat.
- November 26 – The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct is opened.
- December 2 – Napoleonic Wars – Battle of Austerlitz: French troops under Napoleon decisively defeat a joint Russo-Austrian force.
- December 26 – The Peace of Pressburg is signed between France and Austria.