1777 1778 1779 - 1780 - 1781 1782 1783
1750s 1760s 1770s - 1780s - 1790s 1800s 1810s
Events of 1780
- January 16 – American Revolutionary War – Battle of Cape St. Vincent: British Admiral Sir George Rodney defeats a Spanish fleet.
- February – The League of Armed Neutrality is formed between Denmark, Sweden, and Russia.
- February 29 – The Omicron Delta Omega co-ed fraternity is founded by Benjamin Franklin.
- March 8 – Formation of the League of Armed Neutrality.
- March 26 – The British Gazette and Sunday Monitor, the first Sunday newspaper in Britain, begins publication.
- April 16 – The University of Münster in Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany is founded.
- May 12 – American Revolutionary War: Charleston, South Carolina is taken by British forces.
- May 13 – Cumberland Compact signed by American settlers in the Cumberland Valley of Tennessee.
- May 19 – New England's Dark Day: An unaccountable darkness spreads over New England, regarded by some observers as a fulfillment of Bible prophecy.
- May 29 – American Revolutionary War: Loyalist forces under Col. Banastre Tarleton kill surrendering American soldiers in the Waxhaw Massacre.
- June 2 – Gordon Riots in London, Great Britain: The Duke of Richmond calls, in the House of Lords, for manhood suffrage and annual parliaments.
- July 11 – French soldiers arrive in Newport, Rhode Island to reinforce colonists in the American Revolutionary War.
- August 16 – American Revolutionary War – Battle of Camden: British troops inflict heavy losses on a Patriot army at Camden, South Carolina.
- August 24 – Louis XVI of France abolishes the use of torture in extracting confessions.
- September 21 – Benedict Arnold gives detailed plans of West Point to Major John André. Three days later, André is captured with papers revealing that Arnold was planning to surrender West Point to the British.
- September 25 – Benedict Arnold flees to British-held New York.
- October 2 – American Revolutionary War: In Tappan, New York, British spy John André is hanged by American forces.
- October 7 – American Revolutionary War – Battle of Kings Mountain: Patriot militia forces annihilate a Loyalists under British Major Patrick Ferguson at Kings Mountain in South Carolina.
- October 10–16 – The Great Hurricane flattens the islands of Barbados, Martinique and St. Eustatius: 22,000 dead.
- November 29 – Maria Theresa of Austria dies and her Habsburg dominions pass to her ambitious son, Joseph II, who has already been Holy Roman Emperor since 1765.
- December 16 – Emperor Kōkaku accedes to the throne of Japan.
- December 20 start of the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War.
- Timeline of the American Revolutionary War. Independence Hall. Retrieved on 2007-06-01.