1744 1745 1746 - 1747 - 1748 1749 1750
1710s 1720s 1730s - 1740s - 1750s 1760s 1770s
Events of 1747
- January 31 – The first venereal diseases clinic opens at London Lock Hospital.
- February 11 – A combined French and Indian force, commanded by Captain Nicholas Antoine Coulon de Villiers, attacks British troops at Grand Pré, Nova Scotia.
- April 9 – The Scottish Jacobite Lord Lovat is beheaded by axe on Tower Hill, London, for high treason (the last man to be executed in this way in Britain).
- May 14 – War of the Austrian Succession – First battle of Cape Finisterre: The British Navy defeats a French fleet.
- June 9 – Emperor Momozono ascends to the throne of Japan, succeeding Emperor Sakuramachi.
- July 2 – War of the Austrian Succession – Battle of Lauffeld: France defeats the combined armies of Hanover, Great Britain and the Netherlands.
- October – Thomas Herring is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury.
- October 25 – War of the Austrian Succession – Second battle of Cape Finisterre: The British Navy again defeats a French fleet.
- November 9 – Rioters in Amsterdam demand governmental reform.
- November 22 – Prince William IV of Orange becomes stadtholder of all the provinces of the United Provinces.
- December 16 – Canter of Coltbrigg – The 13th and 14th Dragoons flee the Jacobites of Charles Edward Stuart.