1736 1737 1738 - 1739 - 1740 1741 1742
1700s 1710s 1720s - 1730s - 1740s 1750s 1760s
Events of 1739
- January 1 – Bouvet Island is discovered by French explorer Jean-Baptiste Charles Bouvet de Lozier.
- February 24 – Battle of Karnal: The army of Iranian ruler Nadir Shah defeats the forces of the Mughal emperor of India, Muhammad Shah.
- March 20 – Nadir Shah occupies Delhi in India and sacks the city, stealing the jewels of the Peacock Throne, including the Koh-i-Noor.
- September 9 – The Stono Rebellion erupts near Charleston.
- September 18 – The Treaty of Belgrade brings the Russo-Turkish War (1735–1739) to an end.
- October 3 – The Treaty of Niš is signed.
- October 17 – The Foundling Hospital is created in London by royal charter.
- October 23 – War of Jenkins' Ear: Great Britain declares war on Spain.
- November 21 – The British capture the South American silver exporting town of Portobelo from the Spanish.
- February 4 - John Robison - Scottish physicist, mathematician and Illuminati conspiracy theorist (d. 1805)