1711 1712 1713 - 1714 - 1715 1716 1717
1680s 1690s 1700s - 1710s - 1720s 1730s 1740s
Events of 1714
- July 27 – Battle of Gangut: The Russian Navy gains its first important victory.
- August 1 – George, elector of Hanover becomes King George I of Great Britain.
- September 11 – War of the Spanish Succession: Catalonia and Barcelona surrender to the Spanish and French Borbonic armies.
- Tenison's School is established by Thomas Tenison in Croydon, south of London, England.
- The Duchy of Savoy and Piedmont becomes the Kingdom of Sardinia.
- Louis Juchereau de St. Denis establishes Fort St. Jean Baptiste at the site of present day Natchitoches, Louisiana (the first permanent European settlement in the Louisiana Territory, after Biloxi (1699) and Mobile, Alabama (1702) were separated).
- Worcester College, University of Oxford is founded (formerly Gloucester College, closed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries).
- The British Parliament votes "to offer a reward (£10,000 for any method capable of determining a ship's longitude within 1 degree; £15,000, within 40 minutes, and £20,000 within 1/2 a degree) "for such person or persons as shall discover the Longitude."
- Stockholm County founded