1705 1706 1707 - 1708 - 1709 1710 1711
1670s 1680s 1690s - 1700s - 1710s 1720s 1730s
Events of 1708
- March 11 – Queen Anne withholds Royal Assent from the Scottish Militia Bill, the last time a British monarch vetoes legislation.
- March 23 – James Francis Edward Stuart unsuccessfully tries to land at the Firth of Forth.
- July 1 – Tewoflos becomes Emperor of Ethiopia.
- August – The future Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor weds Elisabeth Christine of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel.
- August 23 – Meidingu Pamheiba is crowned King of Manipur.
- August 29 – Indian attack in Haverhill, Massachusetts kills 16 settlers.
- September 28 – Battle of Lesnaya: Peter the Great defeats the Swedes.
- Kandahar is conquered by Mir Wais.
- One third of the population of Masuria dies of the plague.
- Johann Sebastian Bach is appointed as chamber musician and organist at the court in Weimar, Germany.
- Italian philosopher Giambattista Vico delivers his inaugural lecture to the University of Naples, later published as his first book, On the Study Methods of Our Time, in 1709.
- Fearful of a Swedish attack, the Russians blow up the city of Tartu in Estonia.