1703 1704 1705 - 1706 - 1707 1708 1709
1670s 1680s 1690s - 1700s - 1710s 1720s 1730s
Events of 1706
- March 27 – Concluding that Emperor Iyasus I of Ethiopia has abdicated by retiring to a monastery, a council of high officials appoint Tekle Haymanot I Emperor of Ethiopia.
- May 23 – Battle of Ramillies: English, Dutch, and German troops defeat the French.
- September 7 – War of Spanish Succession – Battle of Turin: Forces of Austria and Savoy defeat the French.
- November 5 – The Dublin Gazette publishes its first edition.
- English Parliament establishes the first turnpike trusts which place a length of road under the control of trustees drawn from local landowners and traders. The turnpike trusts borrow capital for road maintenance against the security of tolls and this arrangement becomes the common method of road maintenance for the next 150 years.
- Twinings founder, Thomas Twining, opened the first known tea room at 216 Strand, London.
- January 17 - Benjamin Franklin, American author, printer, inventor, statesman, diplomat and Founding Father of the United States of America (d. 1790)