1700 1701 1702 - 1703 - 1704 1705 1706
1670s 1680s 1690s - 1700s - 1710s 1720s 1730s
Events of 1703
- January 14 – An earthquake hits Norcia, Italy.
- January 30 (December 14 of previous year in Chinese calendar) – In Japan, the revenge of the Forty-seven Ronin occurs, assassinating Daimyo Kira Yoshinaka, the enemy of their former lord Asano Naganori, at his own mansion as a vengeance. All 47 samurais commit seppuku, a ritual suicide on March 20(February 4 in Chinese calendar).
- February 2 – An earthquake hits the town of L'Aquila, Italy.
- February – Soldiers at Fort Louis de la Mobile celebrate Mardi Gras in Mobile, starting the tradition for Mobile, Alabama.
- April 21 – The Company of Quenching of Fire (i.e., a fire brigade) is founded in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- May 27 – The city of Saint Petersburg is founded in Russia.
- May 26 – Portugal joins the Grand Alliance.
- July 29–31 – Daniel Defoe is placed in a pillory, then imprisoned four months for the crime of seditious libel, after publishing a politically satirical pamphlet (his release is granted in mid-November).
- September 12 – War of the Spanish Succession – Habsburg Archduke Charles is proclaimed King of Spain.
- October – A whirlwind blows down the tower of the Gan Takal in Gondar, capital of Ethiopia, killing 30.
- November 19 – The The Man in the Iron Mask dies in the Bastille.
- November 24 to December 2 – The Great Storm of 1703, an Atlantic hurricane, ravages southern England and the English Channel, killing nearly 8,000, mostly at sea.
- December 27 – Portugal and England sign the Methuen Treaty, which gives preference to Portuguese wines imported into England.
- George Psalmanazar arrives in London.
- Isaac Newton becomes the chairman of the Royal Society.
- Ahmed III (1703–1730) succeeds Mustafa II (1695–1703) as Ottoman Emperor.
- The Hungarians rebel under Prince Francis II Rákóczi.