1690 1691 1692 - 1693 - 1694 1695 1696
1660s 1670s 1680s - 1690s - 1700s 1710s 1720s
Events of 1693
- January 11 – Mount Etna erupts, causing a devastating earthquake that affects parts of Sicily and Malta.
- February 8 – The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia is granted a Royal charter from King William III and Queen Mary II of England.
- May 18 – Forces of Louis XIV of France attack Heidelberg (now Germany), the Palatine capital.
- May 22 – The town of Heidelberg is taken by invading French forces, and the castle is surrendered on May 23.
- May – After the castle is surrendered, French forces blow up the towers of Heidelberg Castle using mines.
- China concentrates all its foreign trade on Canton; European ships are forbidden to land anywhere else.
- The Mennonite Amish sect is formed.
- The Knights of the Apocalypse are formed in Italy.
- The Academia operosorum Labacensis is established in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Financier Richard Hoare founds Hoare's Bank in London.
- The Royal Hospital School is founded in Greenwich, London.
- The Dodo becomes extinct.
- Founding of Bromsgrove School by Sir Thomas Cookes