1687 1688 1689 - 1690 - 1691 1692 1693
1660s 1670s 1680s - 1690s - 1700s 1710s 1720s
Events of 1690
- January 6 – Joseph, son of Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor, becomes King of the Romans.
- January 7 – The first recorded full peal is rung, at St Sepulchre-without-Newgate in the City of London, marking a new era in change ringing.
- January 14 – The clarinet is invented in Nuremberg, Germany.
- February 3 – The colony of Massachusetts issues the first paper money in America.
- May 20 – England passes the Act of Grace, forgiving followers of James II.
- June 8 – Siddi general Yadi Sakat, razes the Mazagon Fort in Mumbai.
- June – William III lands in Ireland to confront James VII & II.
- July 10 – Anglo-Dutch navy defeated by the French in the Battle of Beachy Head (also known as the Battle of Bévéziers), giving rise to fears of a Jacobite invasion of England.
- July 12 – Battle of the Boyne, north of Dublin. James VII & II is defeated and sails back to France. The rebellion in Ireland continues for a further year until the Orange army gains control.
- July 26 – French landing party raids and burns Teignmouth in Devon. However, with the loss of James VII & II's position in Ireland, any plans for a real invasion are soon shelved and Teignmouth is the last-ever French attack on England.
- September 25 – The only issue of Publick Occurrences is published in Boston, Massachusetts, before being suppressed by the colonial authorities.
- October 6–12 – Massachusetts Puritans led by Sir William Phips besiege the city of Quebec. The siege ends in failure.
- Arsenije III Carnojevic, Patriarch of Serbia, leads the first of the 2 Great Serbian Migrations into the Habsburg Empire, following Ottoman atrocities in Kosovo.
- December – Earliest recorded sighting of the planet Uranus, by John Flamsteed, who mistakenly catalogues it as the star 34 Tauri.
- December 29 – An earthquake hits Anconer in the Papal States, Italy.
- Belgrade recaptured by Ottoman Turks from the Austrians.
- Earliest type of piston steam engine patented by French physicist Denis Papin. It is used for pumping water but is not efficient.
- Arcangelo Corelli publishes the Concerti Grossi.
- Giovanni Domenico Cassini observes differential rotation within Jupiter's atmosphere.
- The Hearth Tax is abolished in Scotland, one year after its abolition in England and Wales.
- An Anglo-Moghul treaty allows the British East India Company to establish a fort and trading settlement on the Hooghly River, which becomes Calcutta.
- Possible year of the disappearance of the island Buise in St. Peter's Flood.