1679 1680 1681 - 1682 - 1683 1684 1685
1650s 1660s 1670s - 1680s - 1690s 1700s 1710s
Events of 1682
- March 11 – The Chelsea Hospital for Soldiers is founded in England.
- April 7 – René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, exploring rivers in America, reaches the mouth of the Mississippi River.
- April 9 – At the mouth of the Mississippi River, near modern Venice, Louisiana, Robert de La Salle buries an engraved plate and a cross, claiming the territory as La Louisiane for France.
- May 6 – Louis XIV of France moves his court to Versailles.
- May 7 – The reign of Peter the Great officially begins.
- May 11 – Moscow Uprising of 1682: A mob takes over the Kremlin and lynches the leading boyars and military commanders.
- July 19 – Iyasus succeeds his father Yohannes I as Emperor of Ethiopia.
- August 12 – Vesuvius begins a period of volcanic activity lasting for 10 days.
- September – Halley's comet makes an appearance, and is observed by Edmond Halley himself.
- September 14 – Bishop Gore School in Swansea, Wales is founded.
- October 12 – Sultan Mehmed IV departs Istanbul for Adrianople.
- October 19 – Kara Mustafa departs with the Ottoman army to Adrianople.
- October 27 – The city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is founded by William Penn.
- October 31 – In the city of Bideford, Guenevere Damascus, her lover (name unknown) and their spiritual mentor are among the last to be burned at the stake for witchcraft in England. They had been accused of speaking in unknown languages as well as practicing knowledge beyond their natural abilities, and acting in peculiar manners.