1675 1676 1677 - 1678 - 1679 1680 1681
1640s 1650s 1660s - 1670s - 1680s 1690s 1700s
Events of 1678
- January 27 – The first fire engine company in what will become the United States goes into service.
- February 18 – John Bunyan publishes his novel, The Pilgrim's Progress.
- May 11 – French admiral d'Estrees runs his whole fleet aground in Curaçao.
- June – French buccaneer Michel de Grammont leads 6 pirate ships and 700 men in a daring raid on Spanish-held Venezuela, reaching inland as far as Trujillo, Venezuela.
- August 10 – The Treaties of Nijmegen end the Franco-Dutch War.
- September 6 – Titus Oates begins to present allegations of the Popish Plot, a Catholic conspiracy to assassinate king Charles II of England.
- October 17 – British magistrate Sir Edmund Berry Godfrey is found murdered in Primrose Hill, London. Titus Oates claims it as a proof of his allegations.