1674 1675 1676 - 1677 - 1678 1679 1680
1640s 1650s 1660s - 1670s - 1680s 1690s 1700s
Events of 1677
- January 1 – Racine's tragedy Phèdre is first performed.
- April 11 – Battle of Cassel: Philippe I, Duke of Orléans defeats William of Orange.
- May 29 – The Treaty of Middle Plantation establishes peace between the Virginia colonists and the local Indians.
- May 31 – Danish ships clash with Swedish ships under Niels Juel between Fehmarn and Warnemünde; the Danish defeat the Swedish and capture a number of ships.
- July 14 – Battle of Landskrona: Sweden defeats the Danes.
- November 4 – The future Mary II of England marries William of Orange.
- November 16 – French troops occupy Freiburg.
- The Statute of frauds is passed into English law.
- Elias Ashmole gifts the collection that begins the Ashmolean Museum to Oxford University.
- Francis Aungier is made the first Earl of Longford.
- Michel le Tellier becomes chancellor of France.
- The Second London Baptist Confession is written (published in 1689).
- Charles II of England makes Henry Purcell court musician.
- Jules Hardouin-Mansart begins la place Vendôme in Paris (completed in 1698).
- Antoni van Leeuwenhoek observes spermatozoa under the microscope.
- The Swedes defeat the Danes, at Rostock and at Landström.
- The population of Paris first exceeds 500,000.
- Ice cream becomes popular in Paris.
- The John Roan School is established.
- Gottfried Leibniz gave a complete solution to the tangent problem.
- Kreyszig, Erwin. Differential Geometry. ISBN 13:978-0-486-66721-8.