1671 1672 1673 - 1674 - 1675 1676 1677
1640s 1650s 1660s - 1670s - 1680s 1690s 1700s
Events of 1674
- February 19 – England and the Netherlands sign the Treaty of Westminster. A provision of the agreement transfers the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam to England, which renames it New York.
- May 21 – John III Sobieski is elected by the nobility as King of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (to 1696).
- June 6 – Shivaji is crowned as Chatrapati Shivaji at Raigad Fort in India.
- August 11 – Battle of Seneffe: The French army under Louis II de Bourbon, Prince de Condé defeats the Dutch-Spanish-Austrian army under William III of Orange.
- November 10 – Anglo-Dutch War: As provided in the Treaty of Westminster of February 19, Netherlands cedes New Netherlands to England.
- December 4 – Father Jacques Marquette founds a mission on the shores of Lake Michigan to minister to the Illinois people (the mission would later grow into the city of Chicago).
- The Duke of York (later James II) becomes increasingly unpopular in England because of his Catholicism; agitation heightens throughout the country with a petition to exclude him from the succession.
- The Honourable East India Company arranges a trading treaty with the Maratha Empire that has recently been founded by Shivaji Bhonsle in central India.
- The bones of the Princes in the tower were supposedly found